1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Ricks Chicks

Ricks Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Well the time has come like you all told me, I am building a bigger coop to hold more chickens. This one is going to be 6x8 and about 6 feet high at the rafters. I have taken a look at a lot of coops both here and in the real word and am winging it:) no plans per say just a thought and move on to the next peace. I will take pic's for your enjoyment. I have 12 eggs in the bator that should hatch this week end so I am going to have to get buzy soon.

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    That's great news, while you building make it a little bigger, trust me you have the CHICKEN DESEAS now and you will say oh I wish I made it 20'x100' [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    WOW. 8x6, that's all LOL I am building an 8x7 right now, and only have 3 bantams [​IMG] Mom is unexpecting of the expansion. I have a tractor big enough for 3, a coop already done big enough for 6, a coop in construction big enough for 14 (woot) and a quarentine cage. I think I'll keep her in the dark for a little while [​IMG]

Anyway, yes pics are needed

And plans help, esp. saving gas since you can guestimate how much wood and such you'll need

4. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    8x10 here... Jump in with both feet.. Who needs plans... Darn that paper, just grab a hammer and go!

But...

It is a good idea to have something in MIND as to what you want it to look like...

And...

It's a good idea to work it out in your head the best layout of that image, so that you make full use of standard lumber and don't waste much....

Beyond that, who needs planning! [​IMG]

I'll be framing more walls this afternoon.. Not a flippin clue as to how I want windows spaces, so I'll be laying studs as I see fit, where I see fit... 16" OC... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by