1. utefan_42

utefan_42 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Hey. First time (Urban) chicken owner. I just finished my coop, and while there are still some things that need to be done, I think it turned out alright. It still needs to be painted, and needs some trim, but all in due time. We really enjoy having the birds. The kids love them, and it really is a novelty because we are the only poeple we know who have chickens in the middle of an urban neighborhood. At least here where we live. Way worth the time and effort if you ask me.
    Here is a view of the coop.[​IMG]
    Our babies. 5 of them are going to my brothers house.[​IMG]
    Their first roost. They ahcen't used it yet thought. Maybe they are still to young.[​IMG]
    Homemade feeder courtesy of plans found here on BYC[​IMG]
    Nesting boxes. I hear I will only need one though. Silly birds.[​IMG]
    Trying to decide if they want to come out for the first time.[​IMG]
    View of coop with run.[​IMG]

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I asked some questions on your other thread but just wanted to say that you may want to change your roost to a 2x4. Chickens usually do better with a flat roost, especially if you ever had cold weather. They can sit on their feet and keep them warm that way. Plus, chickens don't 'hold onto' a perch like other birds.

3. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

That looks nice! Congrats [​IMG]

4. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    Nice coop. What color is it going to be?

5. utefan_42

Apr 19, 2009
    It is going to be beige with white trim. Thanks for the advice on the roost. I wasn't sure if flat or round ws better. Will be an easy fix though. Gives me something to work on.

6. cherub78

cherub78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    I am curious about the siding- is that the barnwood one from Lowe's? I was thinking about using that on part of our coop addition, so I wondered if that is what you used.
    Thanks- and I love the coop!
    Sharon

7. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    NICE [​IMG]

8. utefan_42

Apr 19, 2009
    Yeah, we bought it from lowes. It is unprimed with a barnwood look to it. It is actually the cheaPEST OF THE 4x8 siding options that lowes carries, about 13-15 dollars per sheet.

9. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Very great coop, real beautiful, well build too [​IMG]

10. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Nice coop [​IMG]

I also like the homemade feeder, but I'd put a top on it. I made one and I found out one of my pullets liked to jump inside to eat. The problem was you know what chickens like to do about every 30 seconds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by