1. Wardogg

Wardogg Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Need some advice. I built the Purina Coop that was posted on here some time ago. Just finished it up yesterday. My lady had really no problem at all adjusting to it. Well except for roosting at night but it WAS just the first nite. Anyways she has never used a nest box before. The old coop was too small for one and she just wouldn't use anything i tried to set up outside the coop. Well this morning was her first morning in the coop. I didn't even have to put her in the nest box....she jumped right up there. Which I was a little concerned about. They seem awful high to me...but not only did she get in there she actually laid an egg first thing this morning in it. Im ecstatic. All that time and money wasnt just for a fancy looking house. It actually serves a useful purpose. Which brings me to my question. I have fresh straw in the nest boxes and when she jumped up there she began scratching around. Well after about 20 min of scratching she pushed all the straw onto the floor of the coop and then preceded to lay. Im thinking I can just put a small lip infront of the nest boxes to prevent some of the straw from falling but Im afraid its going to close the opening another 2 inches from an already fairly small one. I think its 12 inches right now. Anyways, has anyone built this coop or a similar design with similar results? Any advice? See pics below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RockwaterFarm

RockwaterFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2010
    East Hartland, CT
    i like it
    is she free ranged or will you put a run on it later:yiipchick

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Add a lip. You don't want scrambled eggs on the floor. Add more hay & a fake egg & your in business. Mine kicked the hay out at the beginning.

4. Wardogg

Jul 12, 2010
    Quote:Well shes free range in my backyard. LOL

5. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    I agree with the lip. It will also allow you to keep some bedding in there.

Another thing you should do is change out the roost to the wide side of a 2x4. Your hen will be much happier.

6. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Definatly put a lip on it they don't need that big of a hole to enter the nest box. Also you could cut a carpet scrap to fit in the bottom of the box incase she continues to rake out all the bedding. Good luck!
    ETA nice coop looks very functional and easy to access.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  7. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    Nice Job! Agree with adding a lip to the nest box and changing the roost to a 2X4 with 4" side for roosting. My only concern is how does she get locked in at night? I see the opening with the ramp going to the ground, but I don't see a secure door to keep predators out.

Forgot to add...if you only have the one hen...please get her some girlfriends...They need companionship.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  8. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    That looks really nice! [​IMG] Is she your only hen?

9. Wardogg

Jul 12, 2010
    AllCoop'dUp :

Nice Job! Agree with adding a lip to the nest box and changing the roost to a 2X4 with 4" side for roosting. My only concern is how does she get locked in at night? I see the opening with the ramp going to the ground, but I don't see a secure door to keep predators out.

Forgot to add...if you only have the one hen...please get her some girlfriends...They need companionship.

Ive always read a 1 1/2 inch dowel was the way to go for roosting...interesting.

There is no door in front. I have two boxers that roam the back yard with her. Including at night. They will keep the predators at bay. Plus im in the suburbs...not too many yotes or coons running around.

Yes I only have the one hen. Originally i bought two but one died before they were out of the chick phase.....I thought of getting another....but technically Im not supposed to have them at all...HOA rules. She is fairly quite by herself and Im afraid if I got another one they would talk to each other and I wouldn't get to keep any. So she has to play with the dogs for now until we move in a couple of years.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I will get a lip installed before tomorrow.​

10. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    The lip will help from the egg rolling out as well..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by