1. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Set out to build a coop large enough to accommodate 4 or 5 hens and a rooster without crowding (basically enough chickens to keep the average family in eggs), small enough to fit in a pickup truck (because we'll eventually be moving), and light enough to move around the garden by hand now and then. Last but not least, I wanted it to last longer than I will.

The base measures 4' x 8'. In order to use space efficiently, I built vertically rather than horizontally. There's a ground level, a roost level, and an enclosed shelter on top.

All the wood in contact with the ground is pressure-treated. Everything else is pine or spruce with sealer on it.

Every joint is glued, screwed and tattooed, as they say.

Sharp edges are chamfered, more for me than the peeps.

If I were starting over again, instead of siding both ends, I'd do just one end and one long side. That would make a stiffer structure and provide better weather protection, but there'd still be plenty of fresh air and sunshine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    I never thought of using brush in the coop - is that good for them? Seems like it would keep them warmer.

Louella

3. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    This is one great idea! I love the idea of moving it around. I would like to know what the greenery is in the loft with the hens? They look very content.........Nice Job!

4. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    That's beautiful workmanship you've done there! If you throw a couple of red ornaments in with those hens on evergreens, you've got your Christmas card picture! [​IMG]

5. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Tips of Balsam fir branches. They're soft, they smell nice, and we have lots of them. When we camp, we cover the ground we sleep on with them, so I figured they'd be equally good for chickens.

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Looks like some type of fir tree

Awesome coop. Gonna come build me one?!

7. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Wow, very well done! [​IMG]

8. plapczynski

plapczynski Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Chillicothe, OH
    Nice!

How'd you get it to not snow around you coop? [​IMG]

9. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

Great design....portable, comfortable and dry!! Nice one!

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Excellent! I love using the fir for the bedding. Fresh, nice smelling, heat indusive and readily available. They look like happy content ladies to me.

Well done! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by