1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by piecemaker, Feb 16, 2011.

1. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    ok I have 12 hens buff orps, 1 roo banty silkie cross, 2- 3 month old chicks. That said I made the girls a new coop in the barn I converted 2 stalls for

them. They now have a room in the barn that is about 20x20, one wall is all wire the other 3 are plywood, with a 3x3 foot window I am useing the

the deep litter method like in the old small coop. I moved them in and left them in the coop for 3 days then let them out. When it was time for them

to go to bed they roosted on the other stall walls so I picked each one up and but her on the roost in their room,( I used their old roost.) Next night I

have 3 or 4 hens in the coop and the rest on the other stall walls and the roo 1 hen and her 2 chicks all the way up in the rafters. So one more time I

move hens into the coop. I put a light in the new coop thinking that might help. so tonight I go out after dark and they are walking around the

breezeway so I gently heard them into the new room finally all in. Then I look to find Man Chicken, him the momma and babies are up in the rafters.

How long before they figure out where their new room is? Is there something else I need to do? Oh I closed up the old coop so they can not get in

it. Do I just leave them out at night and hope they don't get eaten or do I leave them in the new coop longer as in more days? I think leaving them in

for a few more days but is there a better way?

Thanks for the help
    piecemaker

2. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    You might have to herd up and lock them in overnight for a week or two, until they accept their new coop has home.

3. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Yup, lock em in for a few days. Eventually, they will get the idea.

4. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Thanks for the help. Think I will ground them to their room for the next few days. Then see how they do when I let them out.

piecemaker

5. little horse

little horse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    centerville texas
    i will have to come over and check the new home out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by