1. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

Okay, we built the coop with attached run (similar to the one on my page) and set them in the run for a bit last night before putting them in the door last night. This morning they won't come out. I've baited it with food on the doorsill (the food and water is outside) but that doesn't seem to be working and the coop is too big to force them out. There is a 15-week-old rooster and hen pair and 5 11-week-olds.

Any ideas??

The green one is the new one. Still needs a roof [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Maybe just walk away for a while and see if they come out on their own. Mine didn't want to come out their first morning but an hour later they popped out and it's never been a problem again.

3. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    leave them be [​IMG] chickens, for lack of a better word, are chicken. they're scared of new things. eventually though, one will forget that the new thing is new, and try it, and once one does, the others will follow.

4. BerrytangleFarm

Well, there isn't much choice, I guess. It's been 3 hours, and I'm sure they're getting hungry and thirsty [​IMG] The food on the doorsill was useless, as you can see.

The one older Silkie hen can't see too well, so she'll need to follow the rooster out. My guess is the three Seramas will fly out the door first.

Guesses on how long it'll take 'em?? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  5. BerrytangleFarm

Six hours and still not out.

At what point do I worry about them not getting food or water??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by