new coop

portlandpeeps

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
Portland Oregon
The new coop arrived yesterday! We're not very handy, so we hired someone to build it. The girls seem to like it so far, but only one has ventured up to check out the new digs. Now I need to hurry and get the paint and stain on it before the next rains start!

1485__mg_1526.jpg

1485__mg_1532.jpg

An EE is short for "Easter Egger", most often sold under the name "Ameraucana", but it's not purebred Ameraucana.

I would suggest putting pine shavings on the coop floor to keep poo from getting stuck to it permanently. You've probably already done this.

The coop is beyond cute, and I know your birds will love it.

Very cute! It looks like mine! I don't know how many chickens you have - I started out with 5 - two buff orps and three australorps and I soon realized it was WAY to small for them - since then I've added on and to the run too.

Good luck!
Joan

I love that type of set-up! That's what I had originally envisioned!

Love the "playhouse" coop. You know all those plastic political signs out there right now? Grab you some and lay them down as a floor. Helps to really keep the floor clean and protects the wood too. I put a "trap door" in mine where I lifed out a board and just swept everything out the hole.

Thanks for your advice. I did purchase pine shavings for the floor and linoleum pieces for inside the coop so that I can easily clean it (that advice came from the coop builder). I love the idea of political signs though!

I learn so much on this forum. I guess I do have an EE. She's about a year old and lays pale green eggs. I'm only guessing she's an Ameraucana, this wasn't clear when I got her at 2 days old.

This coop seems huge for our 4 chickens (3 bantys and 1 standard golden wyandotte who's just 4 weeks old). The coop is 4' x 9' x 11'.

My challenge of the day has been finding a plastic hanging waterer locally. The ones that sit on the ground seem to get full of dirt and pine shavings so quickly. I finally found a 3-gallon one within driving distance to avoid that expensive shipping fee (I'm sure I'll spend almost as much in gas though).

Back
Top Bottom