1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Ok so im moving out of state and i figure what not a better way to get a lovely coop. So im thinking of a 10x10 coop so ill have room to grow since ill only have 15 chickens atm. Im moving to arizona so i would love some advice on what i need as far as like weatherness(dont know if thats even a word). Like extra vents for summer and how are the winters there. Im in southern cali atm. This is what i have inmind so far. Any advice will be helpful. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, What are the two angled lines? I'm assuming roosts! Is it a walk in coop and if so, where will people door be? Windows? How high are walls?
    Erik

3. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would make that people door (I'm assuming that is what the arc thing in the lower right is) swing outward. Otherwise it'll be pushing bedding all the time. For a hot climate, I would put in lots of windows. We have 5 in our coop-that's all that would fit. Plus more ventilation up above. I would put a couple of windows on each wall if you can. I bought them cheap from the Habitat for Humanity Restore shop. Also don't forget to put in a walk door for the run, unless you want to crawl through the chicken door. And I would make sure it's tall enough to walk in.

4. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Yes the lines are roosts. The door is the spot on the bottom right and i didn't think about it going outward. Would a partal wall of the coop being wire work? Thats what i have now, but i dont know how cold it gets there. The run will have a walk in door i just dont know where yet. They both will be tall. I was thinking 8 feet tall for the coop.

5. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG]

6. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Anyone?

7. pm

pm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Reed City, MI
    If building from scratch, I would size the coop to make better use of standard building material dimensions. Making it 8'x12' will give you 96 square feet, and you will be doing a lot less cutting of 4'x8' plywood for floors and walls.

Paul

8. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:Thatnks, for the input. Ya i figured it would save some time and would be easier to do it that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by