New Coop

magnolia-1971

Songster
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
SE Wisconsin
HI, My husband is building a coop. 8X8. It is coming along really great. I will post pictures later. We are wondering how the nesting boxes and the roost should be from the ground.
yippiechickie.gif

Any help is appreciated. THANKS!

HI, My husband is building a coop. 8X8. It is coming along really great. I will post pictures later. We are wondering how the nesting boxes and the roost should be from the ground.
yippiechickie.gif

Any help is appreciated. THANKS!

roost should always be higher than your nesting boxes. Otherwise, they will want to sleep in your boxes. I have external boxes that are built onto the side of my coop. They are only 6 inches off the floor. The closer to the floor, the better. My roost is about 3 feet off the floor, and I have a ladder style roost-- so it has many rungs they can roost on if they like. Don't go any higher than 3 feet for your roosts-- the heavier the bird, the harder they land, and they are not graceful. They can hurt themselves inside a coop jumping down, so there's just no reason to make it harder on them.
wink.png

My girls don't like their roost high ( they are big birds ) so it is just above the nest boxes. I had to lower it for them. They do not land very well when they jump down, as Hawkeye95 mentioned. The nest boxes are at floor level. You can see pictures of the set up on my coop page.

I'd like to set up my coop page, but I can't seem to figure it out. How do you set that up? I have been trying to customize my page here also. Any help would be awsome.

caf.gif

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom