1. Kellywooh

Kellywooh New Egg

Dec 27, 2013
    Hello all. I'm new to this site and am pleased by all the help everyone seems to give. Ok, so, I have had chickens for about 2 years now and am in the process of designing a new coop. I hose the existing chicken coop everyday, as I have had some real problems with mites, and we have a gazillion house finches that invade the existing coop and make a huge mess. I would like to still continue with this cleaning method. The floor in concrete now, should I put something else like linoleum or vinyl down? Any thoughts about installing a hinged kick-door on the bottom for letting water out? What about linoleum or vinyl in nest boxes for easier cleaning? Thanks everyone, I know you will give me good advice. Im sure I will have many more questions :)

2. chicken Queen

chicken Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just finished this coop . I have 4 chickens . I have Linoleum down on the floor then sand over that The sand is wonderful for cleaning. use a kitty scoop to pick up the poop, We have an auto door on the run that lets them out every day and closes up at night.

3. chycknFun

chycknFun Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2013
    Earth
    :) nice. I have made and re-made my coop about three times over and still think of new ways to modify. Why not try something if you have beenthinking may work for you if it doesn't work out lesson learned just a new opportunity to try something else.

I have my coop off of the groI figured was worth a try! und. I let the chickens have run space below & opted for a rubber horse trailer mat for my floor.I tried litter and a wood floor hatedthought about linoleum might be easy for cleaning but settled on the thick rubber horse trailer mat. I was worried the linoleum floor may be too slick and cold or that the may peal and eat the glossy coating. this horse mat I figured was worth a try it is thick and heavy has been easy to do my daily poo collection with a mini dustpan I use yard leaves for litter, and the rubber mat washes well with a good hosing down and occasionally some scrubbing . my vote on flooring... I love the rubber mat!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  4. Kellywooh

Kellywooh New Egg

Dec 27, 2013
    Thanks so much. I do have rubber horse mats with tarps on them on the other side of our barn. It does clean up really well, may continue with that idea. I also had the same thoughts about the linoleum, so that helps with my decision. The chickens currently have a very large open barn, but its just to hard to clean and is WAY to drafty, so want to just partition a section off and dedicate it for the chicken coop.Great info, thanks again :)

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Have you considered sand? It is very very easy to maintain, it cleans easily, the poop dries fast, their is little if no smell at all with sand, keeps the flies away too. The chickens love to scratch around in it and some types of sand has tiny gizzard stones in it. I use it in the coops, runs and even the nest boxes. Love it!

6. Kellywooh

Kellywooh New Egg

Dec 27, 2013
    Good ideas. I am actually buying a kids sandbox to fill with sand. Has a lid so I can put outside and keep dry, may even put it in the coop itself :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by