New Coop

callawayma

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
NW Arkansas
Just finished this last weekend. First building we have ever built. Didn't use plans really, just looked at examples online and winged it!

Last edited:
Thanks! I read that ventilation was important, husband was worried about chickens being protected enough. This was our compromise design. Screened sides face south and east.

Thanks! Our biggest inspiration was this coop at The Tangled Nest Blog.http://thetanglednest.com/2010/02/our-urban-chicken-coop-plan/
Also "playhouse" style coops. Our plan is to attach a permanent chicken run, which will include the space under the coop. In the meantime I am building an 8x4x2' mobile foraging pen I will connect to the pop door access with tunnels. Our chickens are only 8 weeks old, so we don 'to have the nest boxes in yet. The plan is to use milk crates...

Last edited:
Our plan is to attach a permanent chicken run, which will include the space under the coop. In the meantime I am building an 8x4x2' mobile foraging pen I will connect to the pop door access with tunnels. Our chickens are only 8 weeks old, so we don 'to have the nest boxes in yet. The plan is to use milk crates...
Your build is just great! Love it! With that said, I have a few cautionary tips for you now that you're getting on to building your run...don't use plain chicken wire!!! You live in a part of the country that is overrun with predators! Oh, you may not see them now and think 'no way' but now that you have chickens? They'll be coming out of the woodwork! I highly recommend using only 1/2" hardware cloth... predators such as raccoons, weasels, possum, are big diggers. Make sure you "apron" your hardware cloth at the bottom down and out, kinda like this:

Just a few tips for you to help avoid the heartbreak of losing your precious girls to them. Wishing you all the best!!

Back
Top Bottom