1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. 88keysau

88keysau Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2014
    We have begun construction of the new chicken coop - YEAH!!!! This was meant to be my birthday present last year (Feb). Our 4 non laying older hens will be joined by 4 younger ones of different breeds in the new Chook - Mahal!

Here is the basic frame.[​IMG]
    It is approx 6.5 ft long x 5 ft high (2 x 1.5m) and stands about 19 inches off the ground (50cm)
    The nesting boxes will be inside (Pet litter trays) with a door that opens down - there will be a frame and dividers for privacy. There will be a raked roosting bar frame at the other end. More pics as we continue the project. This will house between 8 and 10 girls who free range during the day. Our main aim has been to design something easy to clean and light enough to move if we need :)

2. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    WOW[​IMG] awesome coop!! Would love pics when you finish it!!![​IMG]

3. 88keysau

Jan 2, 2014
    ChickyChickens, here are the latest pics for you :) All that is left to do is the roof and the ramp for access. Feeling pretty excited as we went to the chicken breeder today and he is getting a whole batch of new hens in tomorrow that are about 14 weeks old. We have a choice between Barnevelders, Wyandottes, Dorkings, Langshans and Orphingtons.......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    NICE PICS!! Emm...lol ure lucky!! I would get a mix of Barnvelders, Orpringtons and Wyandottes!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What a neat design!

6. sunshynertc

sunshynertc Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2014
    California
    Good design. I also like the color.

1 person likes this.
  7. 88keysau

Jan 2, 2014
    thanks for the comment - we decided that the coop needed to be easy to clean and move. Our original coop is terrible!!!!! The 3 black trays are just large car drip trays which can be hosed off when required and the nesting boxes are pet litter trays. The frame is made from recycled F7 (framing) timber - nothing is really straight but the entire structure cost only $170 AUD including the structural ply and all plastic parts and fittings. We picked up chuck out paint from the local hardware store (returned color) so we were able to keep costs down. Roof will be corrugated iron sheet (recycled). The most expensive part will be the 4 younger hens!

1 person likes this.
  8. Purpletie3

Purpletie3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Upstate NY...
    That looks great! They will love it!

9. 88keysau

Jan 2, 2014
    So we have the chook mahal in position and have introduced the new girls. So our 4 geriatric ex battery hens have been joined by one Silver laced Wyandotte (14 weeks), one Barnevelder (14 weeks), one Dorking (12 weeks) and one Light Sussex( 14 weeks). The only one that managed to work out the new roosting bars was the Dorking - I guess being the smallest of the flock at the moment she got herself up good and high.
    We still have a while to go before we have any eggs but hopefully everyone will be ok and there won't be too much bullying!

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by