New Cornish X chicks aren't thriving

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by gwenakinyi, Mar 6, 2015.

1. gwenakinyi

gwenakinyi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm moving this question to the new chicks forum, it might be a more appropriate place.

I've successfully raised laying chicks in the past, but this is my first round of meat chicks. I picked up 15 Cornish X yesterday, and they've been in their brooder in our house for 24 hours. It's an appropriate temperature, they have water with probiotics, and chick starter feed. They just don't seem to be thriving. They spend more time sleeping than eating, and they tend to sleep like dogs, with feet stretched back, laying on their faces. Weird. I remember my laying chicks being more lively. Is this a breed difference, or is there something wrong? Is there anything I can do to get them more interested in eating? They've pecked at the feed a little, but keep falling asleep with their heads in the feed holes. Here's a grainy pic of my setup. Tips or suggestions appreciated.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  2. caliclucker

caliclucker Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    I just got some too and they are acting similar. I sure would like to know whats wrong too. Did yours ever come around?

3. WildfireSmitty

WildfireSmitty Chillin' With My Peeps

give them some sugar water and lower your brooder temp a bit.

4. gwenakinyi

gwenakinyi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    Bellingham, WA
    They did perk up. I lost one out of 15, but that seems pretty standard. By day 3, they were more lively, eating more consistently, and sleeping more upright. I had marked a couple on the head with a sharpie who seemed especially droopy, but by day 4 their behavior was no different than the others, and I wouldn't have been able to identify them but for the mark.

I had been using a long feeder with holes in it; I found that when I took the top off and made it a long trough they were more interested in the crumble. They like to lay on top of it and nap, then eat some, then nap some more. Sillies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by