New Coturnix, pics inside :-)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mochicken, Nov 15, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I FINALLY got some Coturnix quail, I have been searching for them in my area for a while, I found a guy through a want ad I posted on Craigslist and he met me about an hour from my house, $2.50 x 12 birds = $30

He said they have been laying for about 2 months which puts them right about 4 months? There are 6 Tibetan and 6 Texas A&M, 4 males and 8 females

Their heads look a lil skinned up from hitting a wire top im assuming but they look pretty healthy, they are having a heck of a time taking dust baths in the "isolation cage" until I get them put in their cage setup and separated this is where they will reside, I will be separating the A&M from the Tibetans though

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    sounds awesome like a nice four and eight is always good

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    [​IMG]

4. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Already had an egg today [​IMG]

I did not expect them to lay for a few days since they will be stressed but I found this lil gem in the cage with them already

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The heads are all skinned up because there are too many males. You can keep that many, but make sure there is only one male per cage. 1 male with 2 females is okay, though you should really try to have at least 3 per male.

And they probably will stop laying for a few weeks, it's just that the bird who laid that egg had it almost 'done', so it had to come out [​IMG]

6. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah I will definitely be separating them, if the 1 to 2 ratio seems too much then I will get rid of a couple more males.

I will be separating them tomorrow into their breeding pens, it will take me a few days to definitively know who is male though so I hope they will be ok till I get that all worked out.

I ended up getting four eggs today [​IMG] I think I will just throw them in the fridge because I have promised my wife I will shut down the incubator after the next hatch, or two, or three...........................well soon lol

7. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Just looked again, 5 eggs today [​IMG]

8. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Ok ok last update lol, 7 eggs today, we got home at 330 or so with them and they have been laying since, what a great deal to have them laying so well right after we got them home. Over the next few days they will be transitioning into their new homes split up in smaller groups, cant wait to get some eggs in the incubator later this month when I get some from bfrancis and I'll throw several of my own in too, gonna be an awesome start to my quail project

9. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I have had chickens do this as well... I believe their living conditions before were unfavorable, and then the conditions that we BYCer's give our birds is phenomenal, so they give us eggs for treating them so nicely... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by