New crazy chicken lady

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by eandsm, Jan 15, 2018.

1. eandsm

eandsm In the Brooder

Jan 15, 2018
    Hi all,

I've been coming to Backyard Chickens for awhile to get information about our first flock of chickens. I finally decided to register so I an actually interact with all you wonderfully informative chicken people!

We have five Buff Orpington chickens - one rooster and four hens. They are 18 weeks old now and we're SO anxious to get our first egg! We absolutely love our chickens! Okay, maybe I do a wee bit more than my husband, but he loves them too. I had no idea chickens had such personality! We've both been blown away! Our hens love to sit in our laps so we can pet them. They'll position themselves right in the crook of our arm and fall asleep as we pet them. Our rooster hasn't done that until recently! Now he's loving it when I'm on the ground, so he can position himself in my arm so I can pet the top of his head. He's even closing his eyes too. He's not yet allowing my husband to pet or even touch him. My husband says he's a mama's boy. I'm just happy we have a friendly rooster that I don't feel will flog me (not to say it won't happen, but happy so far so good).

I'm looking forward to getting more information from all of you and to swap stories.

Blessings to all

2. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy :yato have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)
    Nice intro! :goodpost:

3. MrsMistyReal

MrsMistyReal Enabler

Aug 6, 2014
    Mississippi
    Welcome aboard to BYC family gr8 people tons of information, loads of fun, enjoy shake your tail feathers :wee:welcome:bun:woot:yesss:

4. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    :welcome
    Buff Orpingtons are a very nice breed!

5. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Crowing

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    Welcome to byc! And good choice with the Orpingtons. :) Our first year we ordered 5 buff Orpington pullets. Before they even came in we had already gotten 6 other chickens and got 5 more from a breeder.

Several years in our flock(not including spare cockerals grown out for meat) hovers between 80-90.

Hope you built a big coop. Chicken math is real. :)

6. N F C

N F C Marbles...I found mine!

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

I'm glad you're enjoying the flock, feel free to share pictures if you'd like!

Thanks for joining!

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Chickens sure are fun to keep! Honestly, they are like big feathered puppies. :D And yes, loaded with personality!

Enjoy your babies and welcome to our roost! :)

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. That first egg should be coming relatively soon.

9. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    welcome-group.gif
    Welcome to backyard chickens!

Roosters are usually friendly but watch them especially if you cause him to think you hurt one of his hens. I keep an eye on them too and do not turn my back on them.

10. aplummer101

aplummer101 Songster

Jan 30, 2014
    MccLURE PA
    Welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: