New CT Chicken Mama

clusty28

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2016
Hey All...I'm a new chicken Mama here. Just took in 9, 12 week old chicks 4 buff orpington, and 5 ameraucana's. They were being fostered by a farmer and my husband and I decided to take them in. We built a beautiful coop and they seem pretty happy...although a little confused. We picked them up last night, kept them in the coop most of the day to get used to it and spent the last three hours of the sun out in the run with my kids. We've had them a day and I'm already attached. I've been stalking the boards here for a while now and feel okay about them being out in the unheated coop, but on a night like this when it is 15 degrees and windy....ugh, it kills me!! They are all huddled up in the corner of the coop (thats how they slept in their old coop) taking turns being in the middle. Soo CUTE!! Anyway, if anyone has any advice on info on either kinds of chickens that I've acquired, please feel free to drop me a line.

Hi and welcome to byc. There's lots of threads on chicken breeds in the "breeds" section, so take a look at those.

Good luck with your new flock

Cheers
Ct

welcome-byc.gif

It takes chickens a while to get used to new surroundings but they'll be more at home shortly. Glad you're enjoying them, chickens are great, I love mine. Do you have a roost for them to get up on? If you place a board wide side down, they'll be able to cover their feet when they sit and that will keep their toes warm. Feathers are great insulators and as long as your coop isn't drafty, they should be fine.

If you haven't already, check out the Learning Center, it has some wonderful articles in it to help answer questions you may have:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Thanks for joining us!

Thanks for the warm welcome. The chicks made it through the night all huddled together. They are out in the run now with fresh warm water (the water in the coop froze over night). I'm thinking of taking the water out at night. Do you leave water for them?

Oh, and we do have a roost flat side down so they can keep their tootsies warm. Here are the chicks with my son last night. They were all fighting for a place on his lap for warmth. My son was in heaven!!

:welcome the only coop I leave water in are the ones that don't have an automatic door just incase I'm late letting them out then they have both water n food in the coop. The others have their feeding station out in the run.

Back
Top Bottom