new cuckoos *pics*added

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rypie13, Jul 18, 2008.

1. rypie13

rypie13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    We had to get rid of an accidental rooster. So, because there was a chicken for each of our children we had to get a replacement. We found a breeder willing to hold on to chicks for a few weeks to be sure of sex. (and cuckoo marans are supposed to be easier to tell) Anyway, we are getting two so that they have each other and won't be lonely.

How long until i should start to introduce the two groups of birds. (our others are 12 weeks old, these will be 3) Should I let them check each other out a little each day with supervision? Should I keep them totally seperate for a little while because the new ones were raised with many chickens and could introduce something to mine?

When they are ready we were thinking about keeping them in the run with a wire enclosure to allow all of them to adapt, but for how long?

It is HOT here! so they have been used to the heat, but at three weeks, will they need warmth at night if there is only two of them? Our nights are 70's If they can be in the same area and just enclosed in the coop will that be sufficient for heat? (coop is insulated and that would make six in there)

Wow! I do need help, all these questions and they are coming today!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  2. comerrick

comerrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    From what I have read so far, checking eachother out with a fence or hardware cloth between them, is best for a while. Mine went without a heat lamp at 3 weeks because it was so hot during the day and down to 70's at night. They weren't clustered together so I knew they were not cold. But if they are cuddling together, in a corner, trying to get warm, then you will have to add something.
    Lov
    Liv

3. rypie13

Jun 6, 2008
    Thank you for the reply. I have heard so many bad things about introducing a new bird to the flock. I don't want anything to happen to the little ladies!

4. rypie13

Jun 6, 2008
    Here are Tulip and Lulu .... at least we are hoping for two girls.[​IMG]
    The breeder gave us a guarantee, so we are sooooo hoping. (We got these to replace an accidental rooster) They are almost 4 weeks, and look so tiny compared to our 12 week old girls!!!
    Next Friday 20 cornish x - I think we are chicken crazy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by