New Dad Worries

seber

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2018
Conway, South Carolina
hey folks!

i recently (9/1/18) bought two red island whites and two pekin duck babies - im not sure the exact age as i got them from tractor supply. we have two chickens on our property but we’re new to the whole farm thing, and i have a bunch of concerns.

one, my babes are kept in the garage at the moment in a 4.5 foot x 2.5 foot dog kennel with pine shaving bedding as well as a heat lamp, a large bowl for water and two feeders. the temperatures fluctuates from 85-93 most of the time, and at night they get covered with a layer of blankets to help insulate them.

ive noticed a lot of scratching and biting at their chests and what not - i kind of assume it’s feather growth? should i be worried?

with their water, the ducks tends to flop into it which can get some shavings in the water, i clean it at least four times a day but ive seen the two ducks eating little bits of shavings that are in he water - they’re still eating their normal food (Putin’s flock raiser crumbles) but i just was concerned. neither of he chickens do this either.

the chickens do tend to peck at the shavings but they haven’t been consuming the shavings.

im very very new to raising chicks so any and all advice would be More rhan appreciated !!

Ducks will go for shavings, sometimes. I prefer to use hay, partially for that reason.

Have you seen the jug waterer? It works much better, when you're raising ducks with chicks. Not nearly as much dampness in the pen. I cut the hold large enough that they can get their heads through it, and then melt the edges so that they're not sharp.
bea2eb1d23bfa4df0d595b90644b9c76.jpg

(not my picture)

Your temp could stand to come down a bit. Ducklings don't need a lot of heat, and by the time they're a week old, chicks shouldn't really be in a broooder that's above 80.

I'd inspect for mites if you notice a ton of grooming, but if they're a bit bored, sitting around in a pen, grooming is pretty normal behaviour. Belly feathers are very nearly the last feathers to come in on chicks, (first to come in on ducks) so the feathers likely aren't growing, but the chicks will practice preening anyway.

Do you know what the niacin ppm of your feed is? You may want to start adding niacin to their water, as ducklings (especially Pekin ducklings) need a lot more than chicks do. And most starter feed is formulated with chickens in mind. You want at least 55 ppm.

If you don't know the niacin content, just buy some niacin (not Flush-free niacin--that's a different vitamin) or some B-complex at your local feed store/walmart and add some to their water. The chicks can drink it without harming themselves.

EDT: Good luck and welcome to BYC!

Last edited:
Welcome. I'm sure you'll find all the help you need around here. I personally don't keep ducks, but I can relay some things I see repeatedly in other threads. First, ducks seem to make their water quite a mess, from what I've gathered, it's horrible to look at but not dangerous. The jug feeder seems like a good option, I hadn't seen it before. Second, ducklings and chicks will try to eat everything. If it's in pecking reach they're going to try. Speaking for myself, I always have chick grit available. Since they will consume anything it seems like a better option to prevent issues with digesting by having grit, rather than trying to treat problems after. Last, they're pretty resilient, you have a good bit of leeway with the learning curve. We all make mistakes. The ones you make will most likely not have any lasting effects. Relax and enjoy watching them grow. There's no reason to get yourself worried until something worth worrying comes along.

Ducks will go for shavings, sometimes. I prefer to use hay, partially for that reason.

Have you seen the jug waterer? It works much better, when you're raising ducks with chicks. Not nearly as much dampness in the pen. I cut the hold large enough that they can get their heads through it, and then melt the edges so that they're not sharp.
bea2eb1d23bfa4df0d595b90644b9c76.jpg

(not my picture)

Your temp could stand to come down a bit. Ducklings don't need a lot of heat, and by the time they're a week old, chicks shouldn't really be in a broooder that's above 80.

I'd inspect for mites if you notice a ton of grooming, but if they're a bit bored, sitting around in a pen, grooming is pretty normal behaviour. Belly feathers are very nearly the last feathers to come in on chicks, (first to come in on ducks) so the feathers likely aren't growing, but the chicks will practice preening anyway.

Do you know what the niacin ppm of your feed is? You may want to start adding niacin to their water, as ducklings (especially Pekin ducklings) need a lot more than chicks do. And most starter feed is formulated with chickens in mind. You want at least 55 ppm.

If you don't know the niacin content, just buy some niacin (not Flush-free niacin--that's a different vitamin) or some B-complex at your local feed store/walmart and add some to their water. The chicks can drink it without harming themselves.

EDT: Good luck and welcome to BYC!
Welcome. I'm sure you'll find all the help you need around here. I personally don't keep ducks, but I can relay some things I see repeatedly in other threads. First, ducks seem to make their water quite a mess, from what I've gathered, it's horrible to look at but not dangerous. The jug feeder seems like a good option, I hadn't seen it before. Second, ducklings and chicks will try to eat everything. If it's in pecking reach they're going to try. Speaking for myself, I always have chick grit available. Since they will consume anything it seems like a better option to prevent issues with digesting by having grit, rather than trying to treat problems after. Last, they're pretty resilient, you have a good bit of leeway with the learning curve. We all make mistakes. The ones you make will most likely not have any lasting effects. Relax and enjoy watching them grow. There's no reason to get yourself worried until something worth worrying comes along.

thank you guys so much!
im defiantly going to try the water jug - is it still okay considering the ducks seem to like playing in the water?
i'm honestly more than relieved about the eating shavings lol - i was really concerned for a while. this is my first time raising any animal besides a kitten so i'm like.. obsessive over their health lol!

thank you guys so much!
im defiantly going to try the water jug - is it still okay considering the ducks seem to like playing in the water?
i'm honestly more than relieved about the eating shavings lol - i was really concerned for a while. this is my first time raising any animal besides a kitten so i'm like.. obsessive over their health lol!
The ducklings like playing in the water. I don't like cleaning out their bedding eight times a day. I tend to raise mine outside when I can, and then I give them access to a puddle or a tub (depending on weather) so that they can swim, but if they're inside and I have to clean it, they can stick to drinking it instead of playing in it.

Back
Top Bottom