New Day - New question :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newBonboard, May 16, 2011.

1. newBonboard

newBonboard Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    1) Would it be safe to give my 3 wks old barred chicks some honey nut cheerios ? I was thinking I would crunch it all up and just put in a little dish ??

I may add more questions before the day is out HAHA [​IMG]

2. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    If u r providing grit and crunch it up they should b fine! Mine love treats! [​IMG]

3. newBonboard

May 13, 2011
    Ok - Don't have grit...what is crunch it up ?? So far they are just eating the medicated chick feed..I tried some mashed banana last night but they didn't like it.

4. newBonboard

May 13, 2011
    OH... I remember my second question..... Ok so I keep adding this in case you missed my other posts but this is day#3 for me being an owner of 4 barred chicks ... my questions) Are all 3 weeks old's this scared of people ?? They don't seem to enjoy being up at all and get very scared and try to fly everywhere when I go to pick them up. I know they are nervous because when I clean their living space and move them to the box until I am done...I notice the box has all very wet poo ( nerves ) the poo of where there are all day is completely normal. I notice pictures posted with chicks and they are up in getting pictures sitting on peoples hands..mine freak out and if I even let them free a little they try to fly for it not to mention the very loud sqock two make lol Now if I look in to them they do seem curious and I have been talking to them to get them used to my voice.

5. LoriNSally

LoriNSally Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    I have the same problem (scared) with my 2 week old girls. They are so scared of me! It makes me sad!

6. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 6 three week olds, 3 Barred Rocks and 3 Buff Orps and they were scared of us too. I pick them up every day, even through the squaks and complaining they do. I have been doing this since they came home at 2 days old.
    Last night I was able to pick up two of the BRs without them running away and without too much complaining, and when I held them with both hands they calmed right down. I talk to them all the time I'm around them (they are in the basement right now) and they seem to respond to my voice.
    Just keep trying and they'll come around. They won't like it at first, believe me, but in time they will love it. If you don't start handling them early in their life, it's much harder to do it when they are older. Especially if you have to perform any first aid on them, it makes it so much easier. GOOD LUCK! and WELCOME! to BYC [​IMG]

7. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:The pieces shouldn't be any bigger than their crumbles. I always just give mine construction sand as grit so I don't have to worry about the treats I give. They like to eat the sand and will dust bathe in it too. U can give them a clump of grass with the dirt attached as grit also...just make sure the grass isn't real long (tear it up to about 1 inch pieces). I haven't tried bananas yet. Try sprinkling some of their crumbles over it and see if they like it. Hope that helps! [​IMG]

8. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:I have 4, 5, & 6 week olds and there r 29 of them! [​IMG] Some of them still freak out. But if u talk to them and handle them every day they will start warming up to u. I have a barred rock, Sweet Pea, that is 5 weeks old and if I put my hand in the brooder with my palm up she will walk over and hop in my hand. I take her outside with me a lot when I'm doing chores. They have that instinct ;)when ur hand swoops down toward them to run. Put ur hand in the brooder, palm up, and have some treats and it might take a while and a couple tries but eventually they will start coming up to u. They will prob raise a ruckus when u pick them up and handle them, but if u cup a hand underneath them and a hand over top and kind of hold them into ur body they will feel safer. I pick mine up and turn them on their backs, cupped in one hand, and rub their bellies and most will fall asleep! It just takes a lot of time and patience...but every1 tells me its worth it when u have friendly hens! [​IMG]

9. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:Just keep handling them and talking to them...they will get used to u and start to soften up! [​IMG]

10. newBonboard

May 13, 2011
    Thank You earnhardtlvr for ALL the great advice !! My problem currently is that when I try to put my hand in to let them eat some food from my hand or to get them used to me they freak out and try to fly out.. I can't get my arm/hand it without opening the lid. But I'll take your advice, continue to hold despite them making a ruckus over it and talk to them until they come around.

And oh my goodness, I just about died laughing.. I was really sleepy when I posted today and earlier and when you said make sure they have grit AND crumble it up.. I was thinking " crumble it up " was a product HAHAHA duh.. I have to go to work tonight with this brain.. scary !!

Thanks again [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by