New day old chicks!

Stephnrobby

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2019
Clanton, Alabama
I have about 20 eggs possibly to all hatch in 4 days that are in my incubator. My question is when can I introduce them to my current flock or do they need to stay in seperate coop? My flock currently free ranges when I let them out and go back to their coop at dark.

I also have 8 to 10 possibly hatching in 6 days under my broody orpington with my flock. Can they stay in the coop with everyone as they grow?

Building Bridges

Songster
Premium member
Jan 11, 2020
Ohio
I have about 20 eggs possibly to all hatch in 4 days that are in my incubator. My question is when can I introduce them to my current flock or do they need to stay in seperate coop? My flock currently free ranges when I let them out and go back to their coop at dark.

I also have 8 to 10 possibly hatching in 6 days under my broody orpington with my flock. Can they stay in the coop with everyone as they grow?
I'm a newbie here and don't have chickens yet....but have been reading and preparing. This is a great place to bring your questions as there is a great depth of knowledge here about all things feathered. As Ted said....the young ones need to be protected but within sight as they grow and acclimate to the group. It's the "look but don't touch" idea. Check out the articles section andI'm sure you'll find helpful info. Also...others will come along and share too.
Good luck with your integrating!

Building Bridges

Songster
Premium member
Jan 11, 2020
Ohio

I thought this was a great article....
Reasons for Tossing Out Your Indoor Brooder and Start Raising Your Chicks Outdoors.....

rosemarythyme

Free Ranging
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
There's multiple ways to handle it. Not sure as to your temperatures and the overall size of your yard/amount of coverage and clutter, but one option is brooding and raising them outside or in the coop, in sight of the flock: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

If you don't want to do an early introduction you may have to wait until the chicks are old enough and big enough to stand up to the adults, and then do a see-but-don't-touch separate enclosure for them to get used to each other before they start mingling.

As far as the chicks being hatched by the broody, depending on what type of mama she is, they can possibly be raised with the flock (if she proves to be protective) or you may need to give the new family a separate space in view of the flock until the chicks are a little bigger. A wire pen in the free range area or a sectioned off part of the coop can serve this purpose.

Stephnrobby

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2019
Clanton, Alabama
There's multiple ways to handle it. Not sure as to your temperatures and the overall size of your yard/amount of coverage and clutter, but one option is brooding and raising them outside or in the coop, in sight of the flock: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

If you don't want to do an early introduction you may have to wait until the chicks are old enough and big enough to stand up to the adults, and then do a see-but-don't-touch separate enclosure for them to get used to each other before they start mingling.

As far as the chicks being hatched by the broody, depending on what type of mama she is, they can possibly be raised with the flock (if she proves to be protective) or you may need to give the new family a separate space in view of the flock until the chicks are a little bigger. A wire pen in the free range area or a sectioned off part of the coop can serve this purpose.
So far the broody momma has been very protective of her eggs when she gets off nest to eat.
I have plenty of space that they free range in...they just come out the coop into my 5 acres of land

Ridgerunner

Free Ranging
11 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
This is another thread you have active. In post #21 you say they only are allowed out to free range when you can be with them. So that doesn't count. And here you say they go straight to free range which means you don't have a run. So your coop is all you have. If I remember right it's 12' x 20'. While you have a really nice coop you don't have much room.

I don't know what to suggest to you, you don't have much time. You can try letting Mama raise the chicks in that big coop, she can probably manage that. I covered the incubator chicks in that other thread, I guess you will brood them in your house until they get older.

My main suggestion s to finish that other coop you mentioned in that other thread as soon as you can to give you space an flexibility. And think really hard about building a large outside run. You mentioned a hawk problem so it needs to be covered.

You have a nice place to start and can make something nice. But i'm worried you are going to run into problems by moving too fast. Hatching eggs don't wait for you.

Stephnrobby

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2019
Clanton, Alabama
This is another thread you have active. In post #21 you say they only are allowed out to free range when you can be with them. So that doesn't count. And here you say they go straight to free range which means you don't have a run. So your coop is all you have. If I remember right it's 12' x 20'. While you have a really nice coop you don't have much room.

I don't know what to suggest to you, you don't have much time. You can try letting Mama raise the chicks in that big coop, she can probably manage that. I covered the incubator chicks in that other thread, I guess you will brood them in your house until they get older.

My main suggestion s to finish that other coop you mentioned in that other thread as soon as you can to give you space an flexibility. And think really hard about building a large outside run. You mentioned a hawk problem so it needs to be covered.

You have a nice place to start and can make something nice. But i'm worried you are going to run into problems by moving too fast. Hatching eggs don't wait for you.
I do understand the hatching eggs part doesn't wait for me. We just bought this property in may so it's still a work in progress.

Fluffyflufffluff

Chirping
Premium member
Dec 30, 2019

Wow! That's nice to hear. I hope all of them hatch!!! Don't count them chicks yet!! That would be great if they all do though. :D

Top Bottom