New daytime free rangers

shawnhunts

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
I have recently let my flock free range during the day when I am home. How do I make sure they go back to the coop to lay their eggs? I have all different ages of hens. thanks,
shawn

I think Shawn has the same concern as I do. I have 4 EE pullets (6 mos). Only one is laying. I've gotten 4 little eggs in 2 weeks. She goes in and out of the nest box. If I let them out to free range in their day run will she lay an egg in there? How will I know when she wants to lay? Should I only let them out in the afternoon in hopes that she'll lay in the morning?
D.gif

I feel so guilty keeping them locked up in the run. I only let them free range in the evening just before roost time. If I let them out any earlier, I keep my eye on them and keep them moving around so that no one hides and squats on me. They are all starting to lay and I don't want to lose any eggs. Until most of them have learned to use the nest boxes, they will be in lockdown most of the day.

You might take some time to observe when your chickens lay perhaps on a weekend or day off. I was around mine to know they tend to lay between 9am-1pm, so I keep them in the coop and run until at least noon, then let them out. I had a couple jumping over the fence to lay in secret places, so I had to break them of that.

Back
Top Bottom