New Delaware peeps have compacted poop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Flaca Chick, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Flaca Chick

Flaca Chick New Egg

May 12, 2011
    We just got 7 new peeps. 2 Delaware, 2 Buffs & 3 Rhode Islands. Both Delawares seem to have a back up of poop stuck in huge clumps to their rear ends. I was so concerned they would have problems, I had to snip away at the clumps to break them up.

This is our first experience with Delawares, so I'm wondering if this is common for the breed. We're using the same food for all and never saw this before.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    -Andie

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

How old are they? If they are brand new chicks, then this is called "pasty butt" and what I do is the following:

I turn on the water faucet so it is gently running. I test the water on my wrist to make sure it is warm but not too hot.

Then I hold the chick's backside under the warm water until the poo softens. I pick it out with my fingers gently and put some Rooster Booster Pick no more lotion on so the other chicks don't peck at the newly washed bottom.

This generally must be repeated every day for a few days. It is especially prevalent in shipped chicks, I have found.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  3. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Sounds like pasty butt and is extremely common in new chicks. Normally you only need to worry about it for the first week or two. Make sure to check them everyday and keep them clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by