New developement with the 3 chicks dropped off at my house...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dulcimer lady, Mar 28, 2012.

1. dulcimer lady

dulcimer lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    I'm starting a new thread for this issue because I didn't want it to get lost in the other one.

Ok, I've not come across this one yet. The chicks....they are sizzling. Yes, I said sizzling. I don't know if it's the grit and olive oil in their system trying to break everything down or what, but all three of them have a sound coming from their bodies that sounds like bacon frying. I'm not even kidding. I just came in from massaging their crops again and my son and I both heard it. At first we thought it was just one of them but then we listened to the other two and they're all doing it.

Sooooo.....anybody know what the heck that means??

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. fancyfeathers38

fancyfeathers38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    Do they strench their necks out and look like they are having trouble breathing? Sometimes when me birds get CRD or other cold type disease they make a sort of rattleing noise in their throughts.

3. dulcimer lady

Apr 22, 2010
    Not really. And this sound seems to be coming from mostly their belly/lower region.

4. fancyfeathers38

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    Well I have no idea what it could be![​IMG]
    The havn't eaten pop rocks have they?[​IMG]

5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Oh my! That's wierd! I'm going with the poprocks theory... ha! Keep us posted ok? This is a continuing saga!

6. dulcimer lady

Apr 22, 2010
    Lol, yes that's what it sounds like - poprocks!! Typical...I can never have a normal problem, lol.

7. zinia8

zinia8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Reels Corner, PA.
    I don't have an answer. Could it possibly be the stuff in their crops fermenting? Maybe sour crop. Are they pooping normally?

8. dulcimer lady

Apr 22, 2010
    Yes, poop seems fairly normal to me. Hopefully they won't be sizzling in the morning....

9. dulcimer lady

Apr 22, 2010
    Well I don't know what it was but it had stopped this morning. I think it had to have been their little bodies trying to process and break down all the yuck coming out from their stopped up little crops.

10. fancyfeathers38

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    Thats good to hear! (or not to hear!)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by