New Dickey incubator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cwalsh2, Jan 12, 2017.

1. cwalsh2

cwalsh2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Hermosa South Dakota
    I just got my new Dickey incubator going. I love it. I got the model with 3 incubating trays and a hatching tray in the bottom. I debated between the 2x2 and this one, but Mr Dickey mentioned that with tray covers 13.40 Ea. any tray can also be used for hatching.
    I was happy to see that the thermostat was a proportional thermostat, and does a great job of keeping a steady temp. He recommends 1/3 open for the vents in the back. With the pan 2/3 full of water, humidity was 58%(perfect for hatching) so I covered the pan with aluminum foil, except for 1 1/2" in the front, and now it is at 40%, which I like for incubating fresh eggs. It has kept a steady temp of 99.5 for 30 hours so I just turned it off to wait for hatching season in February.
    The price was 631.75 plus 40 for tray covers and 35 for egg positioners..
    I will get back in a couple months when I start hatching chicks.

1 person likes this.
  2. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Ooooh sounds great. Come spring, I'm sure you will be hatching loads of chicks! :)

3. Coop de Grass

Coop de Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

I am thinking about a cabinet incubator and looking at Dickey's. Did you go for the one with the hygrometer, etc?

4. cwalsh2

Jul 4, 2011
    Hermosa South Dakota
    Yes, the temp and humidity are viewed through the front window. I just candled my first setting of eggs on day 9. 7 were clear out of 150. They look great. I only want around 60 chicks,but set extra's because I don't know what I will get for a hatch rate. The humidity is easy to adjust by covering most of the humidity pan. I have 75% of the pan covered with foil and the vents 1/3 open. Relative humidity stays a constant 50% Temp a constant 99.5. It is so much easier to keep steady compared to the 3 styrofoam ones I used to use. Hatch day is on the 18th.

5. cwalsh2

Jul 4, 2011
    Hermosa South Dakota
    I just finished my first hatch. 90% hatched with no mortality and 100% of the chicks are healthy. I collected eggs for 12 days, so they were 0-12 days old. I kept humidity at 40% till lock down ,then 62% It went to 74% when it was full of freshly hatched chicks. I am 100% happy with my Dickeys incubator, but wish I had chosen the 2x2 model. Dickey incubators are great!

6. cwalsh2

Jul 4, 2011
    Hermosa South Dakota
    I just finished my 3rd hatch, with the Dickey. All very successful. 42% humidity, raising it to 62% on the second day of the 3 day lockdown. I am setting eggs every 11 days so the humidity is raised to 62% for 3 days in the middle of every cycle, but they are hatching great. No plans to change anything.

7. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Why would you prefer the 2x2 model? Do you only hatch 192 at a time and not do any staggered hatching? Most people use 1 tray per week and move the eggs down to the hatcher in day 18.

8. Coop de Grass

Coop de Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

@cwalsh2 and @dheltzel Thank you for all of your input! I ordered my Dickey incubator and the day after it arrived, my plans changed due to family cirumstances. The orders for eggs were cancelled and I have yet to set up the incubator because I will be travelling for a month... Your input will be extremely helpful when I get home. I am going to get it running before I leave so that I can check temps and humidity, then I'll order eggs for 2 weeks before I return and my wonderful husband will get them started for me!

Cheers! I can't wait...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by