New Digs for the Hens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mberry222, Apr 9, 2009.

1. mberry222

mberry222 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    Kingston, TN
    So I was planning on building a new coop for the hens this spring, but then I cleaned up an existing shed. Low and behold there is a lot of free space once things get cleaned up. I was able to take the back 8 feet of a 14 x 20 storage shed and convert it into a walk in coop. It's worked great so far. I started with vinyl flooring from a salvage shop for easy cleaning, then built some nesting boxes, a roost, and drop-door that opens/closes from the outside of the door inside the shed. I'm still working on converting the rest of the shed into an animal supply area. Currently they have a 10' x 10' outside run, but I'm hoping to free range them soon. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wundernurse

wundernurse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Atlanta
    Looks awesome. I have the vinyl flooring in my roost area and I love it. Makes cleaning so easy. [​IMG]

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Wow! [​IMG] What a fantastic coop! [​IMG]

4. scarter

scarter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    I don't know if I've ever seen the flooring go up the wall or I've never paid attention. That is awesome! The coop looks so fresh and clean too. It's a great coop.

5. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Oh, that looks very nice! I like the linoleum up part of the wall. [​IMG]

Isn't it fun to discover something usable for your chickens that you already own? [​IMG]

Just FYI -- know that anything stored at the front of your shed will eventually be covered in a thick layer of dust. I'm just saying from personal experience. [​IMG]

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Nice, very nice!! [​IMG]

7. Im4dabirds

Im4dabirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Central Alabama
    I'm so glad you posted these pictures. This is exactly what I'm planning to do with a 12 X 20 foot shed we have. Had not thought about the linoleum flooring though. Great idea! Thanks for posting!

8. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    [​IMG] What a GREAT coop!

9. mberry222

mberry222 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    Kingston, TN
    I defiantly suggest the flooring up the wall. It will making sweeping the coop out much easier, plus you can mop it without damaging any wood. Just be sure to caulk all seams. Thanks for the comments!

10. jrleader99

jrleader99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice coop. I can't show this to my wife or my chickens cause they will get too jealous.

Excellent usage of the flooring especially on the walls!!!!

Cleanup should be a snap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by