New Dog - Skelepup stray

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Rin, May 15, 2010.

1. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Got home from work the other day and my brother greeted me with a stray pup. He's really bony as you can probably tell from the pictures. I thought he was a GSD X Rottie but my friend thinks it's Pincher, not Rottie (I still swear he has the big doofy rottie grin). He looks about 4 months to me but only weighs 15 ibs which is WAY underweight to be part doberman or rottie (and even underweight for GSD?).

[​IMG]
    Ignore how dirty the house looks I rushed to toss anything in the trash bag from the kitchen the pup might go after then threw about three news papers down for him.
    [​IMG]
    He wont let me roll :<

He's very lively and very sweet. I WAS planning to take him to the humane society my next day off (no kill) but starting to get attached as he's very obedient and took to the crate rather well... [​IMG]

2. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    from these pics he doesnt look skinny to me..sounds like a nice dog,,keep him.to me he looks like a large rat terrier X or Min Pin X..

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Oh, he's darling! And only fifteen pounds? I think you ought to let him stay a few more days, if you catch my drift. [​IMG] He sounds like a sweetheart!

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

it looks like a miniature Dobie type to me (my neigbor has one, but I'm not an expert on the breed). Doesn't look like a puppy at all. IN fact is that some greying right next to his nose or just the flash???

Large breed puppies have big feet that they "grow into" and that dog has tiny feet [​IMG]

5. Rin

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Quote:Odd my friend said she could because you could "see the outline of his carnal teeth and shouldn't be able to" whatever that means but I do see his hips and ribs and boy can I ever feel um.

6. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    I dont know what that means either,,you should be able to feel the last 3 ribs,but not see them,,and you shouldnt be able to feel the hip bones,his coat looks nice and shiny.

7. Rin

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Quote:He does have a huge head though XD It looks like someone took a GSD pups head and hot glued it on a 15 ib dogs body and defo a puppy he can't hold his bladder longer than 4 hrs and often "goes" while just walking he hasn't even figured out the leg lifting thing and unfortunately cheering him on for going in the yard results in excited puppy running to me while still peeing XDD good point about the paws though. He does have MUCH smaller paws compared to the one year old DSD x B.Lab x G.Dane I looked after for a while - granted they took after the G.Dane in them for weight. I think this guy mostly takes after the GSD in them as the pups should be 16 ibs at 4 mos right?

You can see his hips better in the second piccy, btw. He gets the nice chubby puppy belly after eating but then poops it right out(no real signs of "rice" in his normal-looking poo, oddly). Already gave him wormer and his first 7-in-one vacc. I'm taking him for his rabies if I keep him on the 20th so he can have papers on it /just in case/. I mostly gave him the vaccination now instead of waiting on the pound to do it as he could get sick from going there and them giving it after the fact wont help him much.

8. Rin

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Quote:You can nnot only feel the hip bones but see them in the second piccy and lord is it ever odd looking down at him from above. He's got a greyhound figure which strikes me as odd for a puppy this young.

-------

Holy cow, I just realized the marking on his face is one huge black cross. That settles it. God WANTS me to have this puppy [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  9. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    will he let you look at his teeth? if they're tiny a super needly pointy, they're puppy teeth. if they're bigger and less pointy, they're adult teeth. if they're adult teeth without a lot of plaque, he's young. if they're kinda gross, he's older. [​IMG]

you might wanna take him in to a vet or somewhere to be scanned for a microchip if he seems well trained, someone might be missin him.

10. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Rin, take a pic of his teeth. I will be able to tell you his age. Looks like some kind of terrier mix to me. Whatever he is, he is lucky to have found you.

I'll wait for the pics [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by