New dog?

Momma*chicken

Songster
5 Years
Jun 14, 2018
Upstate NY... Adirondacks
We are thinking of getting a new dog, possibly to ward off predators from our chickens. At first my husband wanted a German shepherd, then I told him that's a big no no with chickens, as they have a high prey drive. Then we thought of a golden retriever, but heard that they will mostly likely chase and or kill the chickens if left unsupervised as they are bred at waterfowl hunters. So now we found some puppies for sale that are a pyranees/ maremma cross breed. Now I know these breeds are awesome with livestock, guardians even, however my concern is when people come to visit. Will they see every newcomer and visitor as a threat and attack them? Or will they just bark until we reassure them that the person is a friend? How about when our kids friends come over to play?
Thanks!

20093352.jpg

Bigger breeds like that wont be too friendly towards strangers. I've got a Bernese mountain dog who barks his head off at strangers but nothing more.. if you're worried about it attacking people then I'd take it out often especially as a pup to public parks and such so he's used to strangers..

I have a maremma, English shepherd cross... As to answer your questions- It depends on training and the dog! Molly (my dog) has a good sense for who is dangerous and who isn't, if I introduce to a friend or someone from anywhere and I give the all clear she loves them... Now if someone walks in on our property you will be met by a big bark, if that doesn't keep you back she will start coming closer as a warning.

How much land do you have? What kind of predators ? Property fenced? What are you expecting from a dog?

I got molly to be a LGD on our farm... But I have lots of work to keep her busy... People (we have a huge theft problem in our town), other dogs, eagles, bear, coyotes, etc.

My property isn't fenced but we do work daily on her boundary... This summer we will be training to a Ecollar.

A good breeder should be able to place a puppy best for your situation and come along side in training.

Have you looked into a English shepherd? Very good dogs! English shepherds are known for being very good with chickens and wanting to guard! Molly have English shepherd in her also allows her to know how to herd somewhat to keep and of the birds and goats out of trouble.

Also, great Pyrenees are known known to wander. As far as there eye can see it is theirs to keep.

And these dogs aren't usually very good with chickens for quite sometime unless willing to train and work with them a lot... Most pups go thrust a chase stage so just be prepared and by from a breeder that can mentor you.

Also, pups are best when not leaving there moms till atleast 8-10weeks.

And molly is living with 9children and my parents so 11 people... Several of which are young children.

She is a 16month old pup so quite rambunctious when getting to play but yet a gentle pup... She only weighs 80lbs.

I have a maremma, English shepherd cross... As to answer your questions- It depends on training and the dog! Molly (my dog) has a good sense for who is dangerous and who isn't, if I introduce to a friend or someone from anywhere and I give the all clear she loves them... Now if someone walks in on our property you will be met by a big bark, if that doesn't keep you back she will start coming closer as a warning.

How much land do you have? What kind of predators ? Property fenced? What are you expecting from a dog?

I got molly to be a LGD on our farm... But I have lots of work to keep her busy... People (we have a huge theft problem in our town), other dogs, eagles, bear, coyotes, etc.

My property isn't fenced but we do work daily on her boundary... This summer we will be training to a Ecollar.

A good breeder should be able to place a puppy best for your situation and come along side in training.

Have you looked into a English shepherd? Very good dogs! English shepherds are known for being very good with chickens and wanting to guard! Molly have English shepherd in her also allows her to know how to herd somewhat to keep and of the birds and goats out of trouble.

Also, great Pyrenees are known known to wander. As far as there eye can see it is theirs to keep.

And these dogs aren't usually very good with chickens for quite sometime unless willing to train and work with them a lot... Most pups go thrust a chase stage so just be prepared and by from a breeder that can mentor you.

Also, pups are best when not leaving there moms till atleast 8-10weeks.
We don't want people to be afraid when visiting.... Also we don't have a fenced in yard, so wandering might be an issue... Idk, I'm so sure this is the right breed for us then.

Back
Top Bottom