New Dominique/ee chick. I think it's a girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pa2chitown, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Male

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Female

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pa2chitown

pa2chitown Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2015
    What about you?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Unless both parents are barred, you can't go by the "rules" of barring to sex your birds, sorry.

which parent was which? If the Dom was the father, you'll have to wait for comb, etc around 6 weeks.

If the Dom was the mother, you have a sex linked male.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on donrae's post.

4. pa2chitown

Nov 28, 2015
    My roo is the dom (no pun intended) ;)
    ...but sex-linked traits are dominant, and in chickens the male has two copies. Since feather and leg color are dominant, a purebreed MALE will pass on one chromosome (and the dominant genes) to all offspring.
    Anytime you see the sex-linked feather and leg color traits, you can determine sex, if you know how to judge them...but i dont guess anyone is going to be 100% correct?
    Dominant genes only require one copy. The hen, for all intent and purpose, carries only one sex chromosome.
    I used to be able to check the cloaca and determine sex, but i dont think that is 100% either, and the chicks are small and dont appreciate it. :eek:

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

x2

EDIT: This posted later than it was supposed too. Darn spotty wifi.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  6. pa2chitown

Nov 28, 2015
    ....unless the traits are "partial dominant"?
    My discussion is based on what i know about genetics, not empircal experience with breeding chickens.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm not sure what traits you're referring to here. If it's the dark wash on the legs, that's not sex linked. It's simply the result of one barring gene vs two barring genes. In a pure bred barred male, the legs will be pure yellow or white, depending on the breed. In a single barred male, which this chick could be, the legs will have a dark wash because the bird only has one barring gene. That's what I meant in my first response by saying you can't go by the rules of pure bred barred birds with only a barred sire. You're just going to have to wait this one out, sorry.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Donrae

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

x2

10. pa2chitown

Nov 28, 2015
    Genetics is not based on popular opinion...
    What im discussing are the dominant sex-linked genes.
    When dominant gene is present, one gene is all that is necessary.
    When x-linked chickens are different than humans, the male had 2 chromosomes, the female has one (with a tiny second).
    You seem to be discussing autosomal recessive genes, which is not part of sex-linked dominant.

Im not fighting you about whether or not "i" have a hen or rooster, that was a light hearted topic. When you say "youre going to just have to wait, sorry", you make this out to be personal. Its just about musunderstanding the genetics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by