New Doves & Fantails

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by chseeads, Feb 12, 2011.

1. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I got a group of 6 ringneck doves, and a pair of Indian fantails today.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Female

[​IMG]
    Male

2. SpeedysBigRed

SpeedysBigRed Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2009
    "Overrun with chickens" you are about to be overrun with doves and you're going to love it! I used to raise turtle dove and whitewings, along with 30/40 "barnyard" pigeons. That was a long, long time ago. As soon as I get moved and resettled in New Mexico from where I now live in Southern Colorado I intend to again start a dove and pigeon flock along with a coop for BR chickens.

3. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    where did you get them I've been looking for some pigeons. I'm in Greencastle Indiana

4. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Beautiful birds! Who did you get the fantails from? The red check looks like a Mindian or cull from the project.

5. chseeads

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
  6. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

Have had ring-neck doves before and they tend to breed like crazy, almost non-stop! I do like your Indian fantails too! They come in so many colors, the splashes are my favs tho. Just moved my two pair into their brand new loft. Now they can really get to work. Hope you raise a bunch. In my area the Indian Fantails are not very common so should be no problem getting rid of any extras.

7. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    What are you keeping your new birds in. I'm thinking about getting 3 pairs of Birmingham Rollers and I wanted to know what you are keeping them in. Oh and what do you feed them?

8. chseeads

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    They mainly eat scratch grains - cracked corn, milo, and oats....out of which the milo and oats are favorites it seems. Sometimes a little crumble feed too. My modenas like to eat whole corn also.

I'm undecided if I'm gonna keep the doves in cages, or in a little pen (part of my "pheasant house" that my silver pheasants never really used for shelter). I've got a pair of runts that have been living in there. I think that's where the fantails will go.

I've got modenas that live in the chicken house with everything else and are free to come and go as they please.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by