New drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JulieNKC, Sep 22, 2011.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I went and got my girls a drake a few days ago. [​IMG] I love his color. I'm not sure what he is mixed with, she had cayugas, blue swedish, buffs, and welsh harlequins. Any ideas? He's a little bigger than my ancona girl, and quite a bit bigger than my KC. He has a teeny piece of fluff on the back of his head, the only crested duck she had was a blue swedish I think, so I'm guessing due to that and his color that was mom. I have no idea on the other half.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oops, kids kept bugging me when I was typing earlier. I meant to say we lost an ancona hen a few days ago (I didn't notice the ducks weren't in bed when I locked up for the night [​IMG] ) and we got him today. I think I need more sleep, or I need to learn to read my posts before I send them, lol.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Forgot to ask, when will he get his curly butt feathers? Lol, all my duckies have been girls, so I don't know. She said they were 6-7 months old, shouldn't he have them by now?

3. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I have 2 drakes that age. One has two drake curls and the other does not even have one. The head drake is the one without the curl. Off subject but I was wondering what breed and sex that chicken was? My mom inherited some that look like yours. Thanks

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  4. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:Thank you. The chicken is a buff orpington hen. Mine are nice sweet girls, and pretty reliable layers.

5. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Pretty boy! I agree definitely the blue Swedish had something to do with his parentage.

Also, nice to see someone else from Kansas City North. [​IMG]

6. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Hes beautiful! I would say hes a half blue sweedish, half cayuga? Or buff.

7. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:Thanks. I got him right down the road from me off parvin and n brighton, so apparently there are more duck people around than I thought. [​IMG] Wish I would have thought to tell the lady I got him from about BYC.

8. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:Thanks! Cayuga makes sense, since there were some boys that looked like him only black instead of bluish. I can't believe how much quieter he is. I'm used to my loudmouth girls begging for peas, he sounds so pathetic when he tries, lol.

9. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:Thanks. I got him right down the road from me off parvin and n brighton, so apparently there are more duck people around than I thought. [​IMG] Wish I would have thought to tell the lady I got him from about BYC.

I think I know who you're talking about. I was going to get a Blue hen from them not too long ago, but I wound up being too busy with my newborn to get over there and pick her up. [​IMG] Over not far from North Brighton Townhouses?

We live up in Pleasant Valley, not far from the Ford plant. Good to see more duck people around. Small world. [​IMG]

10. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City

I think I know who you're talking about. I was going to get a Blue hen from them not too long ago, but I wound up being too busy with my newborn to get over there and pick her up. [​IMG] Over not far from North Brighton Townhouses?

We live up in Pleasant Valley, not far from the Ford plant. Good to see more duck people around. Small world. [​IMG]

That's her. I am just outside of claycomo, about a mile or so from macaluso's. Not far at all. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by