new ducies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dingleberry, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    [​IMG] new to ducks, when can they take their first "swim" they are 1 week old. Are they normally loud at peeping???

2. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Yes, they are loud. When my ducks were 6 days old I gave them a supervised bath. You can make it as high as you want, in the bathtub or sink. Make sure you stay with them at all times, and you can put your hands in, so they can perch if they get tired. [​IMG]

3. Dingleberry

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    ty should the water be room temperature??

4. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    I had mine a little warmer than room temperature. About 70-80 degrees should be fine for them. [​IMG]

5. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Shoot... I have let them swim in the sink at 4 days old before. Here are some of mine at 6 days old in the bath tub.. I do make sure the water is warm and don't leave them alone. BTW... Bring you a chair, some friends, and a camera because you are fixen to be in for a treat!!!!... There is nothing better than watching duckies in the bath tub.

[​IMG]

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Quote:They can be very loud- but at times it can be an indication of hunger- thirst or being too cold. If they are peeping alot- and have food and water- check the brooder temperature- and if they are huddled under the heat and peeping it could be they are cold.
    Also when they are very small- make sure you dry them off a bit with a towel after a swim and let them warm up again quickly in the brooder afterwards. Little ones can get waterlogged quickly with no oil on there feathers and can chill very quickly.

7. Dingleberry

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    thankyu for quick answers, I will have to give them a swim tomorrow with pictures! I'm excited [​IMG]

8. cbrown86

cbrown86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    Wow. I must be too lenient. LOL. I let my ducks take a bath the day after I got them bc they stunk. They were maybe 3-4 days old.

9. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    My avatar is my Harlequins swimming in very shallow, warm water at three days old. They loved it.

10. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I had 1 of my ducklings in the bath at 12 hours old with his 5 day old brother. My last hatch of 13 were in the bath at 2 days old to get rid of the duckling fuzz.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by