1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New duck additions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FoodFreedomNow, Nov 16, 2016.

1. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I picked up a little duck family this weekend...a big, friendly Pekin drake; his mate, a cute little Indian Runner duck; and 9 mixed ducklings. The 3 week old ducklings have more of the mom's upright posture. Mom looks fawn and white, and I'm guessing the ducklings will have similar coloring.

Mom and Dad are both very protective of the young ones (though Dad gets possessive when he gets into the tub for his morning bath - he doesn't want the babies joining him). Mom's quite a talker, too. While very different from my Muscovies, I'm already enjoying these new additions and looking forward to watching the ducklings grow. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

1 person likes this.
  3. FoodFreedomNow

Thank you, @Miss Lydia! I hope everyone gets along as well as yours do. :fl

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Having a Pekin drake there could be a problem, but maybe because they are different breed the Muscovy's don't feel so threatened. I was really surprised at how my Muscovy drake is with my Runner drake He'd never be that way with another scovy. lol

5. FoodFreedomNow

I'm going to try to integrate dad soon (he's a bit oafish around the ducklings)...planning to put him in a wire cage inside the duck coop so they can see him but not harass him (or vice versa) at night. Wish me luck. lol

6. sarahc63

sarahc63 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2016
    Ohio
    Your new duckies are SO cute!! I have 2 runners and they are lots of fun! Congrats & enjoy them!

7. FoodFreedomNow

Thank you! [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hope it goes good for him. [​IMG]

9. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    Oh my how cute are they........you are very lucky[​IMG] i would love more ducks

1 person likes this.
  10. FoodFreedomNow

Thanks! They're so much fun to watch. [​IMG] So far, the Muscovies seem to be ignoring Dad...just hoping it stays that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by