1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new duck and chicken owner

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by yellwkat, Apr 15, 2016.

1. yellwkat

yellwkat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    Merced, CA
    Hello - I have 2, 6 week old ducks that I am trying to figure out what breed and sex they are. The black one just started getting a green head and a few green feathers today.
    p.s. don't mind the messy pen, I spray it out every other day and change the bedding alot.we're switching to hay tomorrow and hoping it'll be warm enough for them to stay oitside at night too. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Both are runners.

3. yellwkat

Apr 15, 2016
    Merced, CA

Are runners a specific breed or are there runners for each type of breed? I'd like to learn about their temperament and how to figure out tmif their male or female

4. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Runners are pretty calm,but the drakes can be a little rude.My drake was just doing his duties when he'd chase me off (I use to be super scared because there were two of them.They can make great pets.
    And yes,there are certain types.There is the Fawn&white,The fluffy headed type,White,Penciled,Black,Buff,Chocolate,Cumberland Blue,and Gray.

Most ducks have different voice translations.Males have a dim quack whap kinda voice (It's really hard for me to describe),while the females just quack and peep (Usually small ducks peep and quack.).Drakes also have a small curl all the end of their tail,while the females have nothing on their tails,it's usually spread out (Keep in mind these things do not start appearing until the ducks become older then at least 4 months.)Some ducks like Muscovies don't quack or have curls.Male Muscovies hiss,while the females peep sorta,they are also vey quite ducks,but sometimes are aggressive.

5. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    wait does the black one stand up straight like this [​IMG]

6. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Do they have a slender body and an upright stance? If so, they are runner ducks, one being a crested runner.
    I can't tell from that pic what they are.

While runners can be calm, they are normally referred to as a nervous breed.

7. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Yeah,I noticed that with mine.

8. yellwkat

Apr 15, 2016
    Merced, CA
    so much verity! They are terrified of us right now unless we give them treats, but we also have a 4 and 2 year old (human kids haha) and a big dog that follow them around non stop. They're getting better but still sqeek like crazy if I pick them up or pet them. The chicken don't seem to mind getting picked up or pet.

9. yellwkat

Apr 15, 2016
    Merced, CA
    no but the grey one does. It doesn't look as slinder standing up though. the black one is more docile while grey one is a scardy cat so he stands and sqeeks if I'm holding the black one

10. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Maybe I'm missing something but neither look like Runners to me. Looks like a Black Swedish and a Crested Blue Swedish. All ducks can stand upright to get at things high up or get a better look but the traditional Runner stance is pretty distinctive. They stand like that the majority of the time, even when walking/running.

Generally speaking, green feathers on the head means it's a drake.

Did you just get them? If so it will take them a while to get used to you. Treats are a good way to form a bond and trust. Also try not to startle them. This means no really fast or sudden movements. And let them hear you before they see you so they now to expect it. I always say "Hello, girls" or "Good Morning" even now that mine are fully grown so they know it's me and they don't get scared. I always get lots of quacking in return.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by