New Duck Breeds

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducklover87, Feb 22, 2013.

1. ducklover87

ducklover87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    I've been wanting to expand my breed of ducks for quite some time, however being new to the whole duck thing i've waited until I've mastered the breed I have, which is Pekin. So today I finally decided that I wanted to try to expand my breed of duck and I've chosen Welsh Harlequins, Cayuga, Khaki Campbell, and Rouens. I've done some research on all the breeds but I figured id ask the experts [​IMG]. Is there anything that I need to do special with any of the breeds? I know that on the Metzer Farms website it said that the Rouen and Khaki Campbells might fly and I was wondering if they do indeed fly or if it depends on the duck. I know with my Pekins they aren't built to fly even though mine try soo hard to [​IMG] Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I doubt that the KCs or Rouens will fly though you might get a few individuals who can get off the ground occasionally especially when they are younger. Raising them should be basically the same as raising pekins.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I agree with Kevin.

Watch your drake:duck ratio. Ideally you'd have 1:4-6. If you want pure ducklings, you will need to have seperate houseing and runs for each of the breeds.

4. ducklover87

ducklover87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    That's great news then. I really appreciate all the help. Thanks jdywntr I didn't even think about keeping the breeds separate for pure ducklings. I'll definitely have to keep that in mind.

5. ChampionAlex

ChampionAlex Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    CT
    Shouldn't be any problems.

6. Narragansett

Narragansett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Rouens do not fly. If they do, they are not pure Rouens. Anyone selling you them as such is cheating you. For accurate information on breed characteristics, go to an APA sanctioned show and talk with the knowledgeable breeders and judges. You will not get the facts from a hatchery trying to sell you something, or from most internet forums, where everyone claims to be an expert but few are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by