1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Duck Disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MichalK, Apr 10, 2016.

1. MichalK

MichalK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2015
    Illinois
    Hi all - one of our new ducks (a little less than 2 weeks old) suddenly took ill this morning and didn't seem well. From all appearances, we are guessing it's new duck disease, as the duck is severely off balance, flopping it's legs, seems listless, labored breathing, and is also refusing to eat/drink. No discharges from eyes yet, lesions, etc., but duck appears quite ill.

We've already separated the possibly ill one(s) from the flock, but wanted to hear about treatment options, as information seems scattered and not consistent. We're giving penicillin injections to the one that won't eat/drink and hoping we can eventually get them back on food. For the rest of the flock, we're going to add sulfadimethoxine to their water to prevent any start of the infection in them.

Does anyone know if it's safe to treat the sick ducks with both sulfadimethoxine and penicillin? Don't want to cause any extra unnecessary stress, but also want to give our ducklings the best chance of survival, as it appears this disease can have a high mortality rate. Any other advice to help treat our ducklings?

Thanks!

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    What do you feed them

3. MichalK

MichalK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2015
    Illinois
    Dumor chick duck raiser

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  4. Amiga