New Duck Enthusiast- a few Questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BantyChooks, Mar 18, 2016.

1. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Go Habs Go Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Howdy, y'all,

I have been around the chicken forums for a while, but I recently became interested in ducks. I'm still a newbie, (had 3 mutt ducks a year or so ago) and am very interested in learning more about them.

I do not have any ducks at the moment, but might be hatching some Pekin X this year, still debating about buying 'lings vs hatching my own.... Any thoughts on that?

Anyway, thanks to everyone that contributes to this forum.... I can't wait to get started.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  2. Virus

Virus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    I have more info about ducks than I know what to do with. I prefer hatching them over buying ducklings, the reason is that they will have a stronger bond with you when you hatch them. I like having that mother child bond, plus it's fun to watch them pop out then look at you and the world for the first time.

3. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    Thank you! I have chicken eggs in the 'bator now, is there anything special you need to do for duck eggs vs chicken eggs? Or is it pretty much the same?

PS. Love your avatar, the duckie face gets me every time. [​IMG]

4. Virus

May 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    It's pretty much the same but the eggs are a little bigger which might only be a problem on my part because my incubator is small. That is my mallard drake Odette when he was a baby, it's my fav pic of him!

5. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    That is good, I'm glad it isn't too different.

6. Virus

May 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    No problem and thank you!

7. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    Questions-

• What should you feed ducks? Is feeding them layer feed for chickens bad?
    • What are some of the most common problems/injuries?
    • How much space do they need? Same as chickens?
    • Any breed recommendations? Something that is a decent layer and easy to find.
    Thanks.

8. Virus

May 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    You can feed ducks layer feed liked you feed chickens but you need to make sure it's can we fed the Ducks to as they need different vitamins and minerals than chickens. Duck's well off and get scrapes and chips on their bills usually heal pretty well and only leave a small spotted discoloration they can also get something called bumblefoot which well you will get an infection on the bottom of their foot and it will sometimes cripple them. Ducklings can sometimes get a niacin deficiency which is usually caused by chick starter not having enough niacin in it because ducklings need more than chicks you can fix this or prevent this by putting brewer's yeast in to their food. Duck's when he just about the same amount of space as chickens and they do not like confinement I would also recommend giving them a place to swim or put them in a pool of water at least once a day so that I can clean themselves and their father is nice and oily and silky. Runner ducks are pretty good layers they are a little nervous they're also fun to look at and relatively easy to find. I would also recommend Welsh Harlequin as they are calm and cannot fly and they lay well and they can we found a lot of hatcheries. Wells harlequins are also very pretty they have unique colors even the females are pretty they have this nice snowy silver white coloring.

9. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    Thank you!

10. Virus

May 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    No problem!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by