New duck friend extremely scared of me and other duck

Alf264

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2020
Lewis my 9 week old duck has been raised with no other ducks since a day old. He is in very good condition but I knew it was time to get him a friend since it was time to start sleeping outside. I just picked up another female duck same age as her two hours ago and the poor thing is petrified of Lewis and me. I put them in the pen together for about an hour and the new duck was just sitting in the kennel nest while lewis was just at the gate waiting for me as usual. I know it won’t happen like magic and they will instantly bond but,
Can anyone give any advice on how to get the new duck used to it’s new home and is?
when I raise my hand to give it a treat it does not take it and stands in a defensive position almost hissing at me, like she’s really scared of me.

Ducks, just like most birds, do not like change, you'll just have to give her some time to acclimate her new home. The previous owners probably didn't handle her much anyway, so human contact or being near humans is going to scare her quite a bit.

If you're looking for some general tips to get her used to you, do the following. Walk and make slow gestures when you're near her, speak with a calm voice, and try to offer her treats occasionally.

Ducks, just like most birds, do not like change, you'll just have to give her some time to acclimate her new home. The previous owners probably didn't handle her much anyway, so human contact or being near humans is going to scare her quite a bit.

If you're looking for some general tips to get her used to you, do the following. Walk and make slow gestures when you're near her, speak with a calm voice, and try to offer her treats occasionally.
Thank you so much I will take that into consideration. She is already getting used to lewis. Also the owners said she is in between 6 and 8 weeks old. Is that old enough to sleep outside in a pen? The pen is completely wooden and predator proof and not much wind would pass through it? Cheers

Thank you so much I will take that into consideration. She is already getting used to lewis. Also the owners said she is in between 6 and 8 weeks old. Is that old enough to sleep outside in a pen? The pen is completely wooden and predator proof and not much wind would pass through it? Cheers

At six/eight weeks, she'll be fine. How low do the temps in England get down to right now?

it will not take her long to get used to your other duck but you it might take her a bit and she will get your routine she will follow your other ducks direction and as for you make yourself small if you can i was just rehomed 6 ducks they are older but they were still scared of me so I went in and sat in the run and my 2 ducks I already had came running over to me cause I do that when I have treats for them so the new ones started to come closer and I tossed them a mealworm and now when I go in and sit they all come i got them on the 9th so just take your time dont make fast movements and bribery always works

Back
Top Bottom