new duck gets feathers stuck on bill

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by featherfriender, Jan 16, 2013.

1. featherfriender

featherfriender Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2012
    Hammond,Louisiana
    New Pekin duck has down sticking to her bill frequently ,even had to pull feather out of a nostril.I don't see discharge,she looks healthy,has access to plenty water and can submerge head. I wonder if she is sick... I got her about a week ago from a big poultry farm- he has free ranging birds and at night shelters in huge barn...was pretty strongly ammonia scented but otherwise ,ok. Ungodly amounts of rain here,lately,too. Should I worry? The other duck is still fine...we got the new downy nose to replace our duck's partner who was killed by neighborhood dog. I did hear a chicken sneeze, tonight so starting to worry

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    When my ducks get down feathers on their noses, they either are just a random feather from preening, or they have been feathering a nest.

How does the rest of her look?

( I may not be able to follow up tonight - I need to turn in shortly, but those are my first thoughts.)

1 person likes this.
  3. featherfriender

featherfriender Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2012
    Hammond,Louisiana
    Oh,no attempts at nest building,either.She looks 100% fine.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She may be getting ready to molt.

1 person likes this.
  5. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I have one white Call male who has a small feather on his bill every day of the season when it's not winter and he's bathing a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by