New Duck House

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sue S, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Sue S

Sue S Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Pa
    I got a new chicken coop today, it's 8x8, I'm modifying into a duck house it's attached to their run. I started covering the 2 windows with hardware cloth so nothing can break threw the window screens when I have the windows open. Should I put a lock or something on the door in the front that lifts to get the eggs from the nesting boxes???? Will a raccoon or something be able to lift that door & get into the pen???? Or am I just being a paranoid duck "mommy"!!!!! new duck house.jpg

2. Bridger Davis

Bridger Davis Songster

Jul 25, 2017
    Evans Colorado
    WOW I really LOVE this coop!! Yes, it's a possibility that a raccoon could open that... I would suggest just putting a brick or two on the hatch to keep it shut.

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  3. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Pig Whisperer

May 4, 2014
    Newberry, Indiana
    If a 5 year old can open it so can a raccoon.

4. happy duck

happy duck Crazy duck mom

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    That is so so nice!!!! Something will definitely get into that! Raccoon or opossum. Ducks don't really need nesting boxes so if it where me I would nail that down and go into the coop to get the eggs, but that would be an inconvenience. I would maybe try to get some kind of predator proof latch to latch it down and then be able to open it up to get eggs in the morning. I would put about 3-4 latches(depending on how big they are) so there is no way any annoying predators can get their hands in and snatch those duck eggs. Hope this helps. If you need some recommendations on predator proof latches I can look around for some.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

Get a lock! Love that new coop!

6. Sue S

Sue S Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Pa
    Thanks!!!! I wasn't planning on buying a new coop right now, but I really liked it when I saw it so I had to buy it!!!! I'm hoping that my ducks like it too, I'm not putting them in the there tonight still have some predator proofing to do!!! I never thought of nailing that door down :idunno, I was just planning getting a lock but since they probably won't use the nesting boxes, nailing it shut would make more sense. Thanks

7. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    You could get a carabiner! That is supposed to be a pretty good lock unless someone has had a bad experience with using one?

8. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    ducks won't always lay in the same place either. Mine lay most of the time in their pen but each day it's different and sometimes in a couple places. Don't worry about the nesting boxes.

happy duck, Duckworth and Miss Lydia like this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

They may like to sleep in the nest boxes if they can get to them .

happy duck and DuckyDonna like this.
  10. Duckworth

Duckworth Songster

May 15, 2017
    U.S. Prairie
    Very nice new house for your ducks. I would use latches instead of nails, since it gives me more flexibility in access. I have used carabiner clips with good results. They are easier and less susceptible to problems than key or combination locks. I always flip them “upside down” after I clip them on. I clip them to my door handle while I have things open so they don’t get misplaced.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: