new duck issues

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mamaduck14, Jan 6, 2014.

1. mamaduck14

mamaduck14 New Egg

Jan 6, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I have 3 female ducks and in early December my distant neighbor told me about an injured Mallard hanging out near her house. I came and checked him out he had a limp and wouldn't fly. My sister and I took him home and set him up with a pen in the garage. The next day I examined him he had a large gash in the center of his foot, a large puncture on his back near his tail he was missing feathers. He also had a small piece of bone sticking out of his head, this fell off while while applying medication to the area and he is missing his flight feathers on one wing he was also missing his tail feathers. He is all healed up now but still has no flight feathers and a significant limp. I am trying to integrate him into my flock but they keep attacking him and he hisses at them. I have a smaller pen 4 him within the girls pen so they can see each other but not get to each other. Any advice? I've been doing this 4 a week ant the girls still beat him up. My sister named him Zucchini. If his foot never heals then I have a moral obligation to keep him.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There are a couple of aspects to this, or more.

First, welcome to the Duck Forum and BYC.[​IMG] It is nice to have another caring person join us. There are many caring people here, so you're in good company.

Integrating ducks into a flock - especially drakes for some reason - can take time and tons of patience. Baby steps.

Since he is a new guy, then it would be safer for your girls for him to be quarantined until you can be sure he is not carrying parasites or something they could catch. I can take a fecal sample to my vet and have them check for stuff, and it costs maybe $25, you may be able to get a discount.

Something that has nothing to do with duck health is regulations. If he is an abandoned domestic, I don't see any issues. But some states and the federal government have rules about taking in "wildlife." It is your decision on how to proceed, but I did not want you to be unpleasantly surprised.

I don't know all the rules and regs myself. I do know licensed wild animal rehabbers so I would call one of them up and get some advice and help. If I were not allowed to care for the duck, at least I would feel good about turning him over to the rehabbers I know because they are great.

3. mamaduck14

mamaduck14 New Egg

Jan 6, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    He had been quarantined for a month or a little more before I let him meet the girls. He is all healed up besides the limping his foot is healed he just limps and doesn't open it all the way I think he may have permanent muscle damage in that foot because he did have a fairly deep gash. We plan on letting him go in the spring when his flight feathers are back. But until then I wanted 2 get him acquainted with my girls so maybe if he takes a liking to one of them he'll stay for ducklings.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I see. I thought he just arrived.

5. mamaduck14

mamaduck14 New Egg

Jan 6, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Its ok I wasn't very clear on the time line. :) Hes out now in his pen next to them, he actually doesn't seem as mad at them today he hasn't hissed at them yet. Luna is the girl that seems to care about his existence the other two couldn't careless they r just mudding. [​IMG] shes the Welsh harlequin next to the fence Zucchini is behind the fence she honks at him and is always in his face.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It could be because he is new to them and they want to let him know they are in charge, or it's his limp, reason I say this is I have an old drake going on 10 he doesn't walk so good and if he gets anywhere around where the rest of the ducks are and trys walking they all go beserk, something about an injured duck just sets them off, so that maybe it and as he heals or stays around them hopefully they will just get use to it as the norm. any way bless you for taking him and getting him well, sounds like he may have gotten attacked by something. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. mamaduck14

mamaduck14 New Egg

Jan 6, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Yes he was definitely attacked by something hes resilient tho. And thank you :) I really want his limp to go away but I'm not sure if it will he just needs more time and Luna needs to get over herself shes been naughty lately. Lol :D

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They can sure get an attitude, I have a young drake 7 months old and my older girls always feel like they have to put him in his place. Hopefully the more the girls are around Zucchini the more they will get use to him. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by