New duck just showed up what is it?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by thefishery, Jan 25, 2012.

1. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    My son went out to take care of the birds and came back in yelling, "Theres something out there thats black, white and green! It bit my butt and wouldn't let go! I was running around in circles and I think it's a goose!". LOL Obviously it isnt a goose. I have no clue where it came from. I don't know of anyone nearby that has ducks. I'm new to ducks myself. The 3 pekings in the picture we picked up last year at TSC. So this black duck was hanging around my run. When I went in to get the water dishes to wash out and refill, I let my chickens and ducks out. The black duck ran to my ducks, my ducks were like, "wth is this" and the black duck was like "hey wait up guys". lol It looks like it has white eye lashes. It has greenish feathers and its feet are orange and black. Does anyone know what it is? I know that the peking ducks have a curly feather if their a male and a female is loud. This little black duck doesn't have a curly feather but it isnt' loud either. It's a cute little thing though.

[​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Looks like it may be a mule duck

3. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes that is a hybrid (mule) duck, cross between a muscovy and a mallard type duck.

4. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Oh how sweet! That chicken is funny, like hey who you? Lol are you going to keep it! It's so pretty!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It sure is pretty, Congratulations on the new member of your flock. It probably heard through the ducky grapevine your place was a good place to live. [​IMG]

6. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Yeah, I'm keeping it. Would you say it's a male or female?
    I wonder how far it traveled to get here? lol

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Most mule ducks are male

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    We had one that showed up in the rivier below our house with a pure Muscovy so most likely was dumped. the scovies could fly this fellow couldn't. he didn't have a curlie tail feather either. But he sure was talkative, not loud just talked alot. lol we gave him to one of the fellows who was putting a roof on for us because I had way too many drakes, and he was chasing the girls.

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

x2 :p

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

I'm seeing and hearing an increased number of stories where people are "finding" ducks out in their yard. Poor ducks are being dumped off for others to care for. The one that was dumped off at my house refuses to leave. :lol: He's a keeper though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by