New duck mama and a few questions PICS added in last post;-)

skillswife

Songster
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
SW Montana
We recently got 3 baby mallards from my Mother in Law. She already has several ducks and didn't want more. Anyhow the mother was killed in a farming accident and we don't have any rehab or release programs here for the babies. We live on a ranch so space is definately not an issue. I am not sure how old the babies are but they are eating and drinking well. I am working on designing a pen/home for them. Any suggestions and advise would be great. Thanks,
Christine

Last edited:
Can you post pictures? There are lots of experienced duck owners on here that could tell you how old they are.

The only advice I can think of is pretty general - lots of water (deep enough so they can stick their heads into it), feed non-medicated chick starter or waterfowl feed. If they aren't fully feathered yet keep them warm at night with a lamp.

You'll need to clip their wings when they get older, or keep them in a pen that has a roof or netting. They won't need a pond, but would love playing around in one. A coop isn't really necessary, a dog house would do the trick.

Other than that - have fun! Mallards are beautiful birds with lots of personality.

Thanks! I will try and post some pics today. I was wondering about the feed being medicated or not. The stuff I have them on now isn't medicated so thats good, but I will certainly look for advise as they get older. We are going to bring them out to play in some water this afternoon.

Make sure they are not to cold. If they are put a heat lamp up for them. Also if they are arent acting normal, then put a tablespoon of sugar per gallon in their water. Also no medicated feed it can kill ducks. Also I would closely watch them if they are in water.

They just got to play in a shallow tub of water and they loved it! I made sure they were dried off good before putting them back outside. I took pics too so I will try and post those later. I am watching the kids in the pool right now.
Christine

Ok here are the pics of the babies! Hope I got it right, lol. Any guesses on ages please let me know. ~Christine
IMG_8712.jpg

IMG_8716.jpg

IMG_8723.jpg

IMG_8737.jpg

They r b e a u t i f u l !! U can learn everything u will need to know on this forum
I am new to ducks also and read this forum EVERYDAY.... U can search topics / posts
for alot of answers to questions u may have.... its a great place to be... good luck.
smile.png
smile.png

I think they are prbly a couple weeks old...

Last edited:
For now a big cardboard box with straw or hay. They will grow fast, but it will give you time to buy or build something. Mallards are my favorite (see my website). If you train them right, they will stay at home. BUT, make sure you also train them to forage for themselves just in case you get a fly away.

I personally do not clip their wings. A small kiddie pool is nice also, but they don't need to live in the water.

Get Game starter from the feed store (NOT chicken starter). The game starter has niacin in it that the ducks need.

Other than that.......HAVE FUN!
wee.gif

Thanks, they are adorable;-) I am going to make a nice "house" for them for nights because I don't want them getting eaten by the critters around here but they will mostly be able to be free range during the day. Thats how my mil does hers too. Although hers are domestic and don't fly. I am using the game starter so I got that right. Well off to get some things done today. Thanks for the help!~Christine

Back
Top Bottom