1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New duck momma today??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by courtneyking517, Dec 28, 2015.

1. courtneyking517

courtneyking517 New Egg

Dec 28, 2015
    Hi!! Today is my first time posting here on byc. I always enjoy reading the threads but today I'm proud to announce that I have my very first ever external pip. Honestly, I'm only doing this so I won't have my face pressed up against the glass all day. I'm also very excited to share the news.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] How exiting! What breed did you set? Hatching ducklings is great fun, I remember my first hatch so well. Peeking into the incubator and having those little ones imprint on you… Love, love, love. Please keep us posted!

3. courtneyking517

courtneyking517 New Egg

Dec 28, 2015
    We have a Mix of ducks. Our females are Swedish blue and Pekin and our males are Rouen and pekin. This is what I woke up to today on day 26 [​IMG]

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That should produce some very pretty offspring! That is good looking pip. Perfectly positioned. Don't worry if the duckling seems to take a very long time to progress from there, mine took up to 2 days to finish hatching and the last one made me wait 3 days.

5. courtneyking517

courtneyking517 New Egg

Dec 28, 2015
    This is the only one that has done the external pip. There are 4 others that have done the internal pip about 20 hours ago....should I be worried there is no external?

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. :eek:) Definitely post on our Duck section in Other Backyard Poultry under the Forum at the top of the page and take advantage of our duck experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If I remember correctly they can take up to 24 hours to progress to external pip. If not, there is a wonderful guide on how to help if needed. I'll find the link for you...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed/0_30

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. courtneyking517

courtneyking517 New Egg

Dec 28, 2015
    Newest update....just kid of hanging out....but the membrane around it is really white...dry looking? I hope not.

10. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    There is an "outer" membrane just under the shell and another "inner" membrane that covers the embryo. The outer membrane is usually white and sometimes papery looking, that's o.k. The inner membrane should be mostly transparent and damp. I forget to mention, but you probably know at this time you need to keep the humidity in the incubator around 65% or more to keep things moist enough in there. IF the inner membrane on the duckling dries out too much, just dampen it with a wet q-tip. (And ignore the baby asking you to hurry up and get it out of the shell [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by