New Duck Momma...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MommaDuckB, Mar 6, 2017.

1. MommaDuckB

MommaDuckB Just Hatched

Mar 6, 2017
    Browns Mills, NJ
    Good morning!!

I'm new here. [​IMG]

Hubs and I just recently aquired 4 (yes 4) ducklings yesterday. We're over the moon excited. I've already named one of them, Mo, as he/she has a bit of a mohawk. They're adorable and we can't wait for them a bit bigger. My 2 year old daughter is excited as well and has started making a spot for them in her room.

We're thinking about keeping them indoors. We do have ample space in our backyard, have a kiddie pool for swimming in, etc. Hubs is going to make a little 'duck hut' for them so they can be outside with us. However, I have had this idea that they'd live inside - away from predators and elements.

Any thoughts?

Quack,

Michelle

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @MommaDuckB Welcome to BYC.

Here is some really great info on raising and caring for ducklings. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Congrats on your 4 littles. Having ducklings inside is most important till they are completely feathered in because until them they really can't control their body temp and can chill and die pretty fast.
    And quite a few on here have house ducks usually just 1 or 2. One reason why you may change your mind after a while and they are feathered in is because they are very messy and that mess can stink they have no way to be house trained either. So they poop alot and they can carry bacteria so hand washing especially for your 2 yr old is a must. Ducks are a joy to have I had one inside at hatch due to mama rejecting but by 12 weeks he had to go outside with the rest. Having a secure house for them outside and secure fencing is very important because you have it right there are all kinds of predators that love to dine on duck. But if you build them a secure house and your fencing is secure alot of preds can be eliminated especially at night when most are out looking for prey. Making sure the ducks have places to hide under some bushes in the yard will help with flying preds during the day. Make sure if you do build you don't use chicken wire only because even though it will keep poultry in it won't keep preds out.

Children even at 2 yrs old can be taught to be gentile especially with fragile ducklings who can be squeezed to hard or dropped. So your starting off your training, I love to hear about kids and their pets.
    I would keep the ducklings brooder off the floor though on a sturdy table so lil one isn't tempted to get them out when your not looking.

Some have used diapers on their ducklings/ducks so if you still want to have them inside after they have feathered in you might want to check into that eventually.

Please post some pics when you can we'd love to see them.

3. MommaDuckB

MommaDuckB Just Hatched

Mar 6, 2017
    Browns Mills, NJ
    My 2 year old has only been able to pet nicely when I'm holding the duckling. We have Wet wipes at the ready and wash our hands EVERY time we handle/touch anything to do with the cage and ducks. She likes to sit and watch them. She has helped me get them water and food. Granted, we've only had them less than 24 hours. I will be setting up a list of things she can do, with help, as they get bigger.

Thank you for the tips. I appreciate them!!!

Quack,

Michelle

1 person likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Congrats......Four Ducklings will get stinky and grow very fast.......They would do great out in a garage or shed with heat over them.....I have all my Ducklings out in a brooder in my garage....Once feathered they and older they can live outside in a pen with a proper duck shed....

Ducks require water to dip their head into and poop lots.....Very messy.....;)

I recommend setting up a place for them outside......Happy Ducks and Happy Owners.....:)

I love all my Ducks....Although outside is best.....

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  5. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

You will be amazed at the amount of poop created by 4 ducklings. They drink pretty much constantly and it's like the water just runs through them! And the smell - dear god, it's 10x worse than the worst baby poo diarrhea ever! I bought a pet cage with a deep pull-out tray underneath, thinking that we would just empty it every couple days, but by the time our 6 ducklings were about a month old, it had to be emptied and hosed out twice a day because of the smell plus burning strong incense and the smell was still almost at gag level all the time. My husband grew up on a pig farm and he said that duckling poop smelled worse! Also that we will never again have a brooder in the living room. Never.

YMMV, of course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by