New Duck Mommy! ^_^

When can I switch them to layer feed?
I will post pics as soon as they arrive! :D

At two weeks, I started mixing a little grower into the starter crumbles in increasing proportions, and over a week or two they were on grower. When the girls started playing hop on top, I set free choice oyster shell out with the grower. After the first egg, I started mixing in layer with the grower in increasing proportions and they were on layer.

Thanks!
I know with chickens you switch to layer at 21 ish weeks.
Can they eat layer pellets when they're old enough or do ducks need crumbles? I feed my chickens pellets

But can they eat dry crumbles if water is available all the time? Food and water for my chickens is available all the time. Or will they over eat if it's available all the time?

Sure as long as water is available, food 24/7 is good. That is what I do, and I have not always moistened the food. Especially in hot weather, one needs to watch for any sign of spoilage.

With ducks, it's no food without water.

Are runners winter hardy? In New England it gets pretty cold and I don't want the poor honeys getting to cold

Based on my experience, not all of them are, no, and it is 1F this morning. Well below freezing. Mine don't have enough body mass to really weather this in an unheated structure, so I have built a "duck pen" in part of my walkout basement, where it gets no colder than about 40F. It works out quite well.

I also don't have that many runners, they do not huddle together as some others say their ducks do, so for this little flock, 40F or above is where they thrive. I do let them outside when it's, say, 35F and sunny, but for overnight they are in the night pen. When I realized that we had several ducks that were not thriving outside at 30F, I contemplated heating the outdoor duck house, but was very concerned about fire risk. There is always some fire risk when there is electricity involved, I know. But I feel we have much lower risk this way.

How about a backup plan? You have time now to research how you might keep them warm. Going Quackers wisely points out that if one uses a heat lamp, that ducks used to that will suffer should the electricity go out in the middle of a frigid night. Things to think about. With a few ducks, sometimes a laundry room will do for short spells.

Back
Top Bottom