1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New duck mummy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fergusbeakley, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Fergusbeakley

Fergusbeakley Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2015
    Hi all!
    My partner and I have recently became duck parents and I have found this site very helpful for some questions we've had along the way.

Our duckie child is Fergus, he came to us by chance when my boyfriend was driving to work and found the little guy on the corner at the lights scared out of his little feet, with no signs of other ducks or owners (we live in the city) we took him in and made up a brooder box in the living area.

Fast forward 4 weeks and Fergus is getting so big! He's getting his feathers in and looking quite scruffy. We bath him in the tub every night and he has free range of the house during the day (due to his age we are wary of leaving him outside, the neighbours have cats and dogs and it's winter here) Fergus is very affectionate and sometimes cheeky, he loves playing and sitting with us of an evening.

My question is when will Fergus be able to live outside and should we get him a friend? If so, when is the right time?and should we consider male or female? I'm not even sure what breed he is (or if he's a he!) but he's yellow so I'm thinking Pekin. My partner wants him to be an inside duck as we live in the city but I think he would be happier outside. We give him LOTS of love and attention and research as much as we can but we've never had a pet bird let alone a duck and would appreciate any advice on making sure we're the best duck parents we can be :)

TIA!

2. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Birds on the brain Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    Hi there! Congrats on becoming a duck parent and welcome to BYC! If you're able, please post a photo of Fergus. We can get help figuring out what breed you have. It is remarkable how fast they grow up! I got my 4 when they were just 3 days old at the end of April. Today they're 10 weeks old and look very grown up.

Ducks definitely prefer to be part of a flock and he definitely needs some fresh air and sunshine on a daily basis. There are plenty of people that have "house ducks" that have primary residence indoors. If you do get him a buddy or two, the introduction should be gradual. This is most often done by allowing the ducks to see and hear each other to start, but no direct contact.

I'd say he can live outside all the time once he's completely feathered. Keep in mind that he'll need protection from predators. I keep mine locked tight in their coop at night and there's a small completely enclosed area, with a kiddie pool, that they access during daylight hours.

Hope this helps! Please keep us updated.

3. Virus

Virus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    I found my duck, Odette in a similar way but he was an egg at the time. Congrats on raising him to be a happy duck! He can live outside full time mine does and I see ducks swimming in water that's half frozen over. He will need protection from predators and a place to sleep at night if you want as long as he has food and water. He can just be a house duck if you want mine kinda goes back in forth. He sleeps outside but is inside a lot of the time. If you post a pic I can probably take a stab at what breed your duck is. Enjoy your baby! P.S. tell me if yours quacks because mine is two months old and doesn't[​IMG]

4. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Birds on the brain Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    @Virus - LOVE your avatar picture!! If your duck doesn't quack, but rather makes kind of squeaky peeping sounds and/or sounds like he has laryngitis or like he swallowed a frog, you probably have a male (drake). Does yours have a tail feather that has a noticeable curl to it? That would also be a sign that your have a male.

5. Virus

Virus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    Oh I already know he's a drake. His voice changed we he was around 4 weeks old but hasn't since. It doesn't sound like the actual sound males make it just sounds like a baby. His feathers aren't those colors yet nor does he have a curl that won't happen till mating season starts next year. Both males and female mallards start with brown feathers but males have deep bronze chests and pale brown heads and that's what he has.

6. Fergusbeakley

Jul 1, 2015
    Thanks for the advice! We're pretty sure he's a pekin because he's starting to get his feathers and they're all white! Still makes his duckling peep sound but I'm sure that will change soon. We've grown very attached to him so quickly he has one of us home for company everyday and if we go out he comes with, even if it's just to the corner store so he isn't lonely yet but I'll be returning to work soon so we think he should have a friend. He has outside time and swim time every day but it's very cold here, down to 0°c in the afternoons and he's not fully feathered yet so he will be a house duck for a little while but we need to get his outdoor home ready if we do go that way! we have very high fences and never see another animal in our yard so I was thinking a dog house and a kiddie pool? We love having him inside for now and our house is fully tiled but the poop drives me crazy! I was wondering if anyone here is from Queensland or knows of online stores you can get diapers from that will ship to Australia? Such a hard decision but we really want what's best for him, he is definitely our feather baby! Thank you everyone for your advise will definitely keep you updated!

7. Fergusbeakley

Jul 1, 2015
    Also, everytime we have cuddles Fergus goes nuts over my hair and absolutely loves chewing it up! He doesn't swallow it but spits it out its like he's preening mum! Is this normal? More importantly is it safe? I've given him some 'My Little Pony' toys to play with and he just loves them but I don't want him getting a fur ball or something! Does anyone else's duck do this?

8. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

I did a quick Google of duck diapers australia and go a bunch of results. Mostly not in Australia but all with "contact us for international shipping charges". You might give it a try.

9. Fergusbeakley

Jul 1, 2015
    Thank you! I did see that but was wondering what the charges would be :/ worth it though I think. Seems ducks aren't as popular as pets here is Aus!

10. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

I don't have house ducks but from the prices I saw for the diapers and harnesses you should learn to make them yourself and corner the Australian market. There is money to be made!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by