new duck owner! help?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DrangonsAsstnt, Mar 27, 2015.

1. DrangonsAsstnt

DrangonsAsstnt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2015
    [​IMG]
    I am a new duck owner. And I need all the info I can get. Please and thank you!!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Ducklings or full grown?

3. DrangonsAsstnt

Feb 1, 2015
    Ducklings

4. DrangonsAsstnt

Feb 1, 2015
    Is it bad if the ducking is constantly opening and closing it's mouth?

5. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    It could be having respiratory problems, or be too hot. Does it seem to be gasping for air when it opens it's mouth, or does it look more like panting? How warm is their brooder and are they able to get away from the heat if they want?

6. DrangonsAsstnt

Feb 1, 2015
    It doesn't seem to be gasping, more like panting.the light is pretty warm. But they have a lot of space to get away from it. It sneezes a lot. Like it has water in its nostrils.

7. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Do you have a thermometer to put in there to see how warm it actually is right under the light, and also in the area away from the light? What are you keeping them in? The heat could be building up in there if it's a small glass or plastic container, so you might have to move the light higher above the brooder so it can be a little cooler (if you discover it's too hot in there). Is the other one panting at all?

Ducklings will often have a little water coming out of their nostrils after drinking, but since it's sneezing as well that is concerning. Sounds like it could possibly be a respiratory infection, but hard to know for sure without a vet. Is it possible to take it to a vet?

Wanted to add a little more since I'm heading out: The temperature your brooder should be is up in that link that needlessjunk posted for you, according to their age. The ones in your pic look to be under a week old I would say.

Also, are you in the US? Apparently there you can pick up antibiotics, if it is in fact a respiratory infection, at Tractor Supply Company. You'll have to talk to someone else for more info on that (such as what to get), we unfortunately don't have that luxury in Sweden. ;)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  8. DrangonsAsstnt

Feb 1, 2015
    The heat isn't the problem. They found their perfect spot with the right temp. It's almost like when your nose is stuffy so you have to breath out of your mouth. That's how it is acting. If it is an infection then yes going to the vet would be my next option. But could there be anything else causing this that I could fix on my own?

9. DrangonsAsstnt

Feb 1, 2015
    Oh and thank you so much for helping me out. I really appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by