1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Duck Owner

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jmngrose, Mar 8, 2014.

1. jmngrose

jmngrose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2013
    Hi guys,

I've had chickens for almost a year now, I've got them figured out.

Ducks, not sure how old they are. We have one female and two males. They do a lot of "fertilizing", lol. She lays eggs regularly. Not sure what to do with the eggs. I know we could eat them, I did a few they are great. But we are more interested in getting some ducklings. She has 12 eggs in her nest. She doesn't sit on them the way the chickens do. Is there anything I need to do to see that they hatch? Is she supposed to sit on them? Should I watch for specific signs that she wants them to hatch?

Again, not sure of the duck process.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

2. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    if you have an incubator you could incubate them and hatch them that way if she doesn't want to sit on them and brood

3. jmngrose

Mar 27, 2013
    So if she's not sitting on them, and in don't want to incubate them, we should just go a head and eat them?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Some ducks don't go broody. Or they may go broody one year and not the next. Others are good consistent broodies.

5. jmngrose

Mar 27, 2013
    So I have a broody hen right now. I'm going to put the eggs under her!!! Genius right?!?!?

6. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    That's how I hatch my mallard ducklings. I have a white leghorn chicken that goes broody, and she hatches and raises the ducks.

7. jmngrose

Mar 27, 2013
    Oh I can't wait to see how this turns out.

8. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    My ducks stayed with their chicken mom for many months. Even when I put the ducks in a separate pen from the chickens, the ducks would all be sleeping by the shared fence, and the mother chicken would be next to them on the other side of the fence. Finally the seasons changed, and the mallards flew south, and the hen went back to being a chicken! The next spring, 3 or 4 of the mallard returned. They landed on the pond in our backyard, and walked up the lawn to the coop to hang out.

Let us know how it goes.

9. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    Awesome, let us know how it goes!

10. jmngrose

Mar 27, 2013
    That story tickled my heart strings. Thanks for sharing. I will post updates, so great full for your thoughts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by