New duck owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dawnbaker, Aug 25, 2014.

1. dawnbaker

dawnbaker New Egg

Mar 29, 2014
    Green Bay Wi
    Just bought 2 Pekins....any advice how to kept their water clean?

2. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    Which water? The one you have for them to drink out of or the one you give them to play in? If you're referring to the water you have for them to play in, there is no way to keep it clean !!! I'd fill my ducks pool with clear, clean water and not 5 minutes later, you couldn't see the bottom anymore...and it was only 10 inches deep! If you didn't know this before (I guess you do now), ducks have a tendency to get mud and water everywhere...lol !!! Unfortunately, cleanliness if not their strong suit. But what they lack in the neat department, they more than make up for with their cuteness factor. Now, if you're referring to the water they drink, the best way I found to help keep it clean (besides dumping and refilling it every 1/2 hour) was to either make the container opening too small for them to fit anything other than their head in it, or, and this one takes some work...you can remove about 6 inches of soil in approx. a 3 foot by 3 foot area and replace it with 6 inches of pebble or river rock. This won't necessarily keep the water itself really clean, but it will help keep the area all around the waterer from turning into a muddy nightmare. Good luck.

3. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

I don't have ducks, so I can't help you with your dirty water problem. Good luck with finding a solution, though!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I don't know anything about ducks. You might stop by our Ducks section and chat with all those Duck experts...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Good luck with your ducks and welcome to our flock!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. X2 on TwoCrows advice; I unfortunately don't have any advice on the ducks of my own.

Have fun with the ducks!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

x2 on Two Crows and Kelsies advice

9. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    That's an easy one...just don't let them near it, and certainly NEVER let them get in it...lol !!!

No, in all seriousness, have you come up with any ideas yet cuz I'm always in the market for anything that lessens the mud flow around my place!

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! That is certainly a good question... Ducks are nothing if not MESSY! Good thing they are so adorable [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by