New duck owners, wanting geese and chickens too!

lolos

In the Brooder
May 1, 2016
Hello from Colorado,

We have two ducklings that are now 8 weeks old. A Blue Swedish named Pearl and a Silver Appleyard named Blanche.

We are hoping to get some geese and chickens later on. As a new owner this website and forum has been very helpful to me already, so thank you!

I'm wondering what the best way to get ducks to not be afraid of you. Our poor ducklings had a bad Pasteurella bacteria infection when we first got them, and to administer antibiotics we had to push the pill down their throats which was not fun for both parties involved. I feel like now even though they are healed and have been for several weeks, they still don't trust us. If we go near them they quack loudly and run away. It makes me so sad! Any ideas on how to win them over?

It would be good if you could spend time with them - just sitting outdoors and occasionally calling to them and tossing some treat. They will eventually come closer to see what it is. Then get bolder and come even before you toss a treat- they will be expecting it. I don't think ducks like to be held or get on your lap like chickens but, I am sure they can show affection by following you around.

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us and good luck with expanding your menagerie !

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

All the best
CT

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined the flock! Ditto the above, time and treats. I have yet to meet a bird that can resist mealworms, so if can get some of those (pet shops should have live ones), that will be a good negotiating tool. Once the little ones start associating you with good stuff, you'll have more luck winning them over.

Thank you all for the welcome and great ideas. Love the idea of tossing treats, as of now when I hold out my hand with a treat they run. I will just have to be patient.

Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom